Senior Python Engineer
Fair is a FinTech company that provides a new way to shop, get approved and pay for your next car—all on your phone. It gives customers the freedom to drive the car they want for as long as they want, and the flexibility to turn it in at any time. Fair is headquartered in Santa Monica, California.
Our name pretty much says it all. It’s our culture. It’s the way we treat our customers, our network of dealers and our fast-growing family of employees. We believe in hard work, and we believe hard work should be rewarded. That’s why we offer equity incentives, education reimbursement, 100% coverage of medical, vision and dental premiums for employees and their families, 100% paid parental leave for 4 months, cellphone reimbursement, 401(k) retirement plans and free lunch 5 days a week for every employee. The way we see it, better to be more than fair than not to live up to our name.
Who You Are
Data is at the heart of Fair. You design, build, and maintain systems responsible for all aspects of managing business data, including incoming and outgoing data pipelines, data storage and analytics, and application-facing resources. At Fair, you are also responsible for building production level APIs to power the user experience using the data at hand.
What You’ll do
- Build and maintain microservices, designing and implementing APIs, managing cross service integration testing and creating robust, fault tolerant services.
- Design and document new features, improvements, and database infrastructure.
- Research and evaluate technologies that satisfy system needs.
- Implement robust distributed systems essential for data pipelines, analytics, and reporting, primarily in Python, AWS technologies, PostgreSQL and NoSQL, and scripting.
- Create and maintain scalable and efficient data storage systems.
- Test, deploy, and monitor changes on test and production environments.
- Build resource endpoints vital to the customer-facing portion of the Fair application in Python.
- Work with the Product Engineering team to verify successful integration of application-facing resources.
- Follow general best practices for software and systems development.
- Participate in code reviews on GitHub.
What You Have
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or mathematics (or equivalent experience).
- 2+ years of professional experience using dynamic, high-level languages (e.g., Python, Ruby).
- 3 - 5 years of experience in professional software development.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Experience with ORMs preferred (e.g., SQLAlchemy and Active Record).
- Experience building and maintaining RESTful services using established web frameworks (e.g., micro frameworks like Flask and Sinatra).
- Familiarity with SQL databases and query languages.
- Experience building ETL pipelines a plus.
- Experience with automated testing (unit, functional, and integration tests).
- Ability to contribute to and excel in a team environment.
- Great communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It’s Fair’s policy to provide equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants for employment. No person will be discriminated against in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sex, medical condition (as defined by California law and which includes pregnancy or childbirth), national origin, age, physical or mental disability, political activity or affiliation, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other legally protected status where there is no bona fide occupational qualification or legitimate business reason for the differing treatment. In addition, Fair prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state or local laws.