Digital Project Manager
At tronc we are growing the product development teams in our Los Angeles offices to power the future of digital news, and promote quality journalism. We’re looking for smart and talented project managers, experts in their field who can come in and teach us a thing or two. You are a multitalented leader with a thirst for more who can fit into our culture of collaboration, building and learning.
Digital Project Manager you will lead teams to achieve their ambitious goals, keeping teams healthy, projects on track and stakeholders in the loop. You will mentor teams and partner with fellow leaders to level up the teams that power the LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun and 150 other publications. You will lead your squads to build the cutting edge user experiences that are used by 60 million visitors every month and growing. You’ll work on a versatile, cross functional team that is defining the future evolution of digital media.
- Be a steward of our processes and culture.
- Work closely with fellow leaders to make key decisions in steering projects. Identify needs that stakeholders/product managers may not recognize and ensure approaches and solutions are linked to objectives and future needs of the project.
- Develop an overall project management strategy and work with project teams to execute those plans. Proactively identify opportunities and deliver process improvements.
- Plan and schedule deliverables, goals, and manage the delivery cycle, keeping stakeholders informed.
- Ensure requirements and project deliverables dates are clearly communicated, understood and executed upon.
- Manage stakeholder/product manager expectations, ensure delivery of the highest quality service, and solicit and act on feedback.
- Monitor day-to-day activities of the project team and ensure work is progressing as planned. Actively monitor project risks and scope creep to foresee/identify potential problems and proactively identify solutions to address them in advance.
- Foster predictability and transparency for your team via project management tools and reports.
- Oversee budgeting, both capex and operations, and resource allocation.
- Manage your team’s health and knowledge of the tools at their disposal.
- Other duties as required.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- A master of communication, including conflict resolution skills and the ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels of technical knowledge.
- Professional experience collaborating in an Agile environment on large-scale development projects.
- Ability to take charge and initiate when needed with the power to influence team members to build towards consensus.
- Ability to be a positive change agent within the product team, as well as across the organization.
- Ability to review, understand, and challenge technical estimates/timelines.
- Experience working across several projects ranging in size in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Proficiency with a range of appropriate software tools and methodologies.
- A minimum of 2 years of project-related experience on either:
- Large-scale web site development projects for an established, heavily trafficked, consumer facing web site or
- Complex IT development projects involving mission-critical business transformation.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.