Sr. Product Manager - Billing
The Sr. Product Manager for Billing is responsible for strengthening the relationship between Inspire and its customers by powering delightful billing experiences across all aspects of our member experience.
As part of Inspire’s Platform team, we need you to work with internal and external partners to build and ship a billing technology stack from mostly the ground up. You will need to interface with Finance, Data Science & Analytics, Sales, Member Experience (Customer Support), and other product teams to ensure your billing product(s) meet their needs and empower them to create a strong relationships with our customers. Your work will surface in just about every mission-critical experience and process within Inspire as our billing needs will live in our sales tools, member experience tools, customer app, website and our Netsuite instance.
ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
The relationship a company has with its customers is an existential matter. A cornerstone of that relationship is the act of exchanging of money for goods and services. Ensuring delightful user experience at the moment of exchange is paramount to the long-term survival and growth of Inspire. To accomplish this, we need you to have a relentless focus on the end-user experience for both customers and internal teams responsible for creating a great member experience from the initial contact to cancellation and everything in between.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES -
- Define, develop and ship a billing technology stack to power Inspire’s growth - Empower the creation of delightful, seamless billing experiences by delivering a performant, stable billing infrastructure.
- Ensure regulatory compliance - Balance user experience and team productivity with compliance across privacy, tax, legal and finance.
- Build and manage to a roadmap that effectively powers stakeholder needs across the company - Partner with teams internally to develop and execute a roadmap to power billing experiences across all touchpoints of the member experience.
- Ensure a stable, performant billing infrastructure - Support company KPIs by ensuring industry-beating uptimes and internal SLAs, provide Tier-1 support when bugs or other events cause the system to go down.
2019 DELIVERABLES -
- Work with various teams with Inspire to define a billing stack that empowers consumer-facing experiences and mission-critical processes.
- Work cross-functionally to architect and develop a roadmap for integrating, developing, and shipping billing technology from the ground up.
- Identify and make businesses cases for which parts of the billing roadmap can be delivered using 3rd-party technology and which need to be built internally.
- Establish and nurture key relationships with 3rd-party vendors, utilities companies and internal data science and software development teams.
- Own the maintenance and evolution of Inspire’s billing stack to ensure new growth initiatives are properly supported.
TRAITS REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
- Doer - Not afraid to roll up their sleeves and wade through the muck to uncover the right answers.
- Learning machine - Consumes and distills new information voraciously, climbs learning curves with dizzying speed. We should feel like we would have a hard time keeping up with you and be compelled to level up our game as a consequence.
- Systems Thinker - You can reason from First Principles to parse signal from noise, extrapolate the underlying pattern, identify the sensitive inputs & weightings and generalize to other contexts.
- Foresight - You are able to balance the needs of the present without jeopardizing or constraining optionality in the future. You can play out the multi-round consequences of available paths or tactics, take the long-term view and do not make a habit of cutting corners.
- High Trajectory - You are pursuing personal and professional growth as a top reason for changing jobs. You actively seek coaching and working environments that imprint you with new skills and abilities to level up.
- Diversity of Thought & Experience - You have a heterogeneous background often living at the intersection of two more overlapping domains of expertise or schools of thought.
- Humility - You are comfortable enough to know when to say “I don’t know”. You share credit with the team when things go well and volunteer to own the blame when something goes wrong in your corner of the kitchen.
- Leadership - You can rally a team by leading through influence, not fiat. You are able to tune your communication style make your message more receptive to each individual member of the team.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
- Technical Knowledge - Broad technical breadth, including familiarity and/or experience with payment gateways, subscription management systems, automated tax systems, building APIs, PII, GDPR, modern mobile technologies and web services.
- Direct experience - you’ve led the development and launch of billing technologies that power mission-critical experiences and processes.
- Familiarity or direct experience working with 3rd-party technology providers and in-house product development teams to ship quality hardware+software products on time.
- Stellar user research chops - You are not afraid to dig in and unearth the underlying causal mechanisms that drive adoption, usage & retention. Well-versed in ethnography, generative interviews, evaluative interviews, & A/B testing.
- Strong business acumen - especially familiarity with subscription-based consumer electronics businesses and Saas metrics.
- Design & Creativity - A strong eye for user experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - especially in creating detailed, crisp business requirements, functional requirements and user stories that can be used to create product specifications and architecture for each product.
- Leadership - Prior experience leading cross-functional teams and stakeholders to achieve breakthrough results