Product Development Manager- Sports Nutrition
It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
iHerb is one of the leading global e-commerce retailers with its emphasis on Nutritional and Wellness products. Our mission is simple…providing the best overall value for natural products through "e-simplicity." Our values can be best defined as an environment in constant and continuous pursuit to conscientiously meet the needs of our customers, business partners, and team members while doing our part to safeguard the environment.
The Manager of Product Development is responsible for creating new products within the Sports Nutrition category. This position identifies vendors to work with in creating new products, product lines and brands. Responsible for ensuring product design is consistent with market trends, business strategy and ensure product quality and efficacy. This position will manage multiple, complex projects and drive outcomes and optimal results.
- Build strong strategic relationships and maintain effective communications with suppliers.
- Work with strategic partners to identify novel ingredients, products and formats for a category.
- Continuously growing supplier base and capabilities
- Evaluate supplier core competencies and competitive positioning, to drive strategic sourcing goals
- Work with procurement and marketing to generate new ideas and sourcing options
- Execute initiatives with our suppliers to ensure product quality and efficacy.
- Understanding industry domestic regulations (FDA, OTC, 21CFR) and global regulations that could impact our products. Understand manufacturing practice and quality management requirements.
- Establishes regular communications stream and follow-up with all team/project members
- Partner with Marketing and iHerb (marketing and purchasing) to develop new products to evaluate. Suggest new product ideas/ingredient suggestions
- Build awareness and communicate emerging trends in the marketplace regarding demand for key ingredients – any potential sourcing supply issues due to global market place. Evaluate market and supplier information regarding the potential impact of material changes. Provide this feedback to be able to maintain a consistent supply to avoid market price fluctuations
- Prepare product formula documentation to send out for quotation and support communications with contract manufacturers during the quotation and development process
- Ensure formulations are high quality, cost effective, efficacious and meet brand guidelines.
- Create Lines of product for future platform growth in key consumer need state areas.
The duties and responsibilities described above may provide only a partial description of this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of the job. Other duties and responsibilities not outlined in this document may be added as necessary or desirable, with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and to be able to communicate effectively
- Detail oriented, strong analytical skills, team-player
- Proven ability to perform in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Work in cross-functional team environment
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment
- Demonstrated success with being results and proactive solution driven individual, with a strong ability to think critically to overcome potential business hurdles to complete tasks.
- Coach and develop direct reports
- Strong MS Office
Requires between three (3) to four (4) years of experience with product formulation development and/or working directly with natural products, nutraceuticals, supplements, protein powders or related field.
Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Science, Pharmaceutical Science, Nutrition, Food Science or related field preferred, or a combination of education and equivalent work experience.