Product Architect, Clients
Who We Are
Pluto TV, a Viacom company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 100+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
Viacom creates entertainment experiences that drive conversation and culture around the world. Through television, film, digital media, live events, merchandise and solutions, our brands connect with diverse, young and the young at heart audiences in more than 180 countries.
For more information on Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com. Keep up with Viacom news by following us on Twitter (twitter.com/viacom), Facebook (facebook.com/viacom) and LinkedIn (linkedin.com/company/viacom).
The Software Architect Role will handle a variety of general responsibilities:
- Architecture - architecture of the Client Products. In our current system, the Client Products span our complete range of supported devices that run the Pluto TV application software and/or just play a PlutoTV streamed channel.
- Develop Software Solutions - work with the engineers to help find solutions to whatever problems they are encountering in the work they are doing
- Technically Lead and Advise on Projects – heavy involvement in the analysis, design, programming, testing and deployment of software.
- Documentation - document processes, designs, deployments, and operations. Ensure these processes are followed, the designs are reviewed and approved, deployments are tracked, and operation runbooks are kept up to date.
This is a critical role with a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Designing algorithms to common processes so that the algorithms can be implemented across all our platforms.
- Reviewing existing client implementations to find areas that could take advantage of common algorithms.
- Working with the client development teams to design and plan the integration of Pluto’s applications with Viacom’s back end services and Viacom’s Video player.
- Proposing changes to Pluto’s services APIs that will benefit all the PlutoTV applications.
- Designing client-side solutions to future feature requirements.
- Researching and proposing 3rd party client application frameworks and libraries.
As a Senior PlutoTV Architect your responsibilities will also include the following:
- Ensuring consistent PlutoTV coding style and naming conventions are followed
- All software components have well defined and documented APIs
- Client software is efficient, scalable, secure and error free.
- Making decisions for today with an eye on the future.
- Writing design documents with enough detail and clarity to possibly hand off to a software engineer to build.
- Maintaining documentation so it is up to date and correct.
Qualities / Experience We're Seeking
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role:
- 5+ years developing software on at least two of the following platforms: iOS, Android, Roku, HTML
- Shipped at least 3 products to production
- 5+ years with source code management systems
- 2+ years managing or mentoring a team of software developers
- Experience with at least one video player application
- API documentation
- Good verbal and written communication skills, especially with teams whose first language is not English.
- Back-end server software development experience (NodeJS, Golang, Java)
- AWS or GCloud deployment experience
Citizens of Pluto TV have the privilege of entertaining millions of people. We are entrepreneurs looking to revolutionize the future of TV. While our planet is small, our ambition is boundless. The stakes don’t get much higher.
Becoming a Citizen is hard work. We need self-starters that thrive in changing environments, who treat company resources like their own, and who deliver seemingly impossible outcomes at warp speed. It’s the only way we stay ahead of the giants looking to take the opportunity we have earned. We are selective but once chosen, you’re in.
Why You Should Become a Citizen of Pluto TV
As stated, becoming a Citizen is hard work but the rewards of citizenship are plentiful. Work with the smartest people on some of the most complex projects of your life, while profoundly impacting both Pluto TV and the broader world of entertainment. Share in the epic quest to define the future of television as we know it. Big commitment, big impact, lasting change.
As a Citizen, you will enjoy generously-sponsored medical benefits, a generous vacation policy, 401K retirement plan, social and team events, and more!
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
At PlutoTV and Viacom, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.