Manager, Merchandise Development & Strategy
Based at the iconic Capitol Tower in the heart of Hollywood, Capitol Music Group is home to some of the best known labels in modern music; encompassing the jazz icons of Blue Note, Capitol's generations of pop stars, and the legendary recording of Motown to name but a few. We produce, distribute and promote some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the industry. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join an organization on the cutting edge of the modern music business and, as part of Universal Music Group, a chance to be part of the world's leading Music Company.
Capitol Music Group is seeking a manager of Merchandise Development & Strategy. This role will be responsible for interfacing directly with CMG's artistic talent and their teams, the label and brands to design and deliver a wide range of merchandise (and other products). As the manager, you will identify and facilitate the development of potential products, conduct market research, determine specifications, production timetables, pricing and time-integrated plans for product introduction, while also creating marketing strategies around each product launch.
- Create strategies for design creation and implementation of products through cross-team collaboration and stakeholder analysis
- Look at fashion trends and anticipate designs [based on artist taste] that will appeal to consumers
- Oversee the final production of merchandise
- Determine customers' needs and desires by specifying the research needed to obtain market information
- Recommends the nature and scope of present and future product lines
- Assess market competition
- Provide information for artists and management by preparing short-term and long-term product sales forecasts, while working closely with UMG's eCommerce team to generate reports and analysis
- Brings new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs
- Introduces and markets new products by developing time-integrated plans with Marketing, Advertising and Production teams
- Determines product pricing by utilizing market research, reviewing production and sales costs, anticipating volume, etc.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Passionate about both music and fashion
- An existing network of printers & manufacturers is preferred
- Must be able to communicate effectively, friendly and patient
- Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize responsibilities and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Keen problem-solving and trouble-shooting abilities; high level of accuracy and attention to details
- 3+ years of experience in graphic design and/or production
- Bachelors Degree in fashion-related field preferred.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.