Senior Vice President, Digital Strategy and Business Development
The Senior Vice President, Digital Strategy and Business Development, is a highly visible senior business leader within Universal Music Group (UMG) Digital Strategy group who is responsible for developing and optimizing relationships with UMG's key digital partners and leading implementation of these partnerships throughout UMG's label organizations. The successful candidate will be the strategic planning and business development expert able to engage deeply with partners, at various organizational levels, to develop innovative licensing models, advance revenue growth initiatives and guide effective execution of new deals within UMG's operating units. The successful candidate will also oversee an array of analytical and forecasting aspects of UMG's digital business, manage departmental organization processes and bring an understanding of optimal integration of commerce and marketing.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, department planning processes oversight; deal negotiation with top digital accounts; initiation and management of projects to optimize account-level and cross-account opportunities; communication with UMG's executive management regarding priorities and key developments in partner businesses; and, maximization and forecasting of partner revenues. This role will serve as a key contact and connecting link for partners and internal stakeholders with respect to UMG's evolving digital business. Productive collaboration with Digital Strategy department leadership and effective management of a dedicated team of direct reports is critical.
This role is based at Universal Music Group's worldwide headquarters in Santa Monica, CA.
The details of the job consist of, but are not limited to, the following aspects:
- Develop and maintain strong executive relationships with partners and with internal stakeholders, including repertoire owners, distributed labels, operations and reporting/analytics groups, corporate marketing executives, and UMG senior management.
- Supervise establishment of new partnerships and renewals as lead negotiator on major deals.
- Oversee deep integration with US Labels management and operational teams.
- Focus on partnership components that are closely integrated to digital marketing and consumer engagement, including ad-supported services and social platforms.
- Develop partner-specific and cross-partner revenue-optimization strategies, and lead implementation of those strategies.
- Establish regular formal and informal communication with internal stakeholders regarding partner performance, best practices, operational changes, analytics, and new opportunities.
- Oversee monthly business planning and forecasting with respect to the partners and maintain regular communication of updates.
- Lead business insight analysis projects, establish transparency regarding performance, and drive initiatives to address improving execution.
- Collaborate with commercial teams to ensure productive implementation of new deals and focus on driving digital deal operationalization, maximization and innovation with Labels.
- Expertise in digital content commercial models, e.g., ad-supported and subscription streaming, user-generated content services, etc.
- Results-driven, pro-active and resourceful team player who excels at identifying opportunities, creatively and collaboratively developing plans to maximize those opportunities, and driving them through to completion.
- Outstanding attention to detail and analytical/critical ability.
- Strong relationship development and management capability.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills, and ability to influence people at all levels.
- Genuine passion for the music industry and the digital media sector.
- Experience with successfully managing teams of high-performing professionals.
- Moderate travel is required.
- 10+ years' experience in music or a related digital content industry, ideally at a music company or digital music service.
- University degree important, with MBA or equivalent business qualification preferred.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.