IT Network Systems Admin
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
- Maintain Bird’s global corporate network infrastructure for maximum uptime for internal users
- Design and build 802.11 wireless networks in our Service Center and office environments
- Monitor, troubleshoot and resolve network issues for all locations using SNMP, syslog, tcpdump/wireshark, etc.
- Develop and implement network security best practices for remote administration and access
- Build and maintain routers, switches, firewalls, wireless, and other networking infrastructure
- Lead, mentor and assist inexperienced team members with knowledge sharing, cross-training and guidance
- Build and maintain AWS cloud infrastructure for internal facing systems
- Work with multiple internal teams and external parties such as ISPs, construction and low-voltage contractors and vendors for office network build outs
- Develop and maintain network documentation, procedures and diagrams
- Manage and maintain network monitoring tools and systems
- Manage MDF/IDF/MPOE locations, network/server racks, and network rooms
- Provides coverage on on-call rotation to support the network infrastructure in a 24x7x365 operation environment.
- 6+ years networking experience in large enterprise environments
- 3+ years in building wireless networks for warehouse environments
- Proficient in conducting predictive and active wireless site surveys to improve and optimize wireless services
- Proficient in packet capture analysis and troubleshooting wired/wireless connectivity issues
- Proficient with IPSec VPNs and client connectivity portals
- Experience setting up and managing controller/cloud based Wi-Fi networks, such as Cisco/Meraki, Aruba, Mist, etc.
- Familiarity with cloud and virtualization technologies such as AWS, Azure, GCP
- Familiarity with Cisco/Meraki network platforms, Juniper EX switches, Palo Alto PAN firewalls
- Strong with LAN technologies including: STP, loop prevention, port security, VLAN, LACP, QOSFamiliarity with routing protocols such as BGP or OSPF
- Strong understanding of network fundamentals (e.g. TCP/IP, Ethernet, IP Addressing/Subnetting, VLANs, ACL, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required; must be able to communicate effectively with core project team members, team leads, and end-users
- Experience with python/ansible/shell scripting, automation and/or developing tools for network management.
- Ability to utilize system and device APIs/hooks for scalability and automated configuration
- Familiar with BeyondCorp or Zero Trust security model
- Network certifications (CCIE, CCNP, JNCIE, CWNP) preferred
Technology we're working with:
- Cisco Meraki for gateway, switching and wireless connectivity
- Mist for wireless connectivity
- Juniper for switching
- Palo Alto firewalls for next-gen network security
- Terraform for Infrastructure as code
- AWS/GCP for cloud infrastructure
- Ekahau Site Survey for wireless design and surveying
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.
Read Full Job Description