We are looking to bring on an Associate to help support the Foundry arm of M13; our in-house, omnichannel, consumer-focused brand incubator and accelerator. The Foundry’s model is based on leveraging institutionalized data and our world-class network to evolve the way that consumer and consumer tech brands are built. This role provides a unique opportunity to meaningfully contribute to the vision and implementation of a platform that spans innovation, venture capital, and consumer insights.
The Foundry Associate will support our Incubator Leadership Team by utilizing and contributing to M13's proprietary playbook so that data-driven decisions can be made across our five growth pillars - brand, acquisition, product, distribution, and operations. Based in Los Angeles, this position at M13 brings the advantage of working within a burgeoning local ecosystem that attracts the top thought leaders and disruptive innovators in consumer tech. Overall, this is a tremendous opportunity for someone looking to learn from and support founders, while helping back the next batch of amazing consumer and consumer tech startups.
Who we're looking for
- At least 3 years of proven success in cross-functional brand management, management consulting, investment banking, venture capital, and/or relevant startup experience.
- A strong ability to think critically with a heavy emphasis on root cause analysis and related task execution.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and relationship forging skills to effectively collaborate with M13 team members, founders, partners, investors, and more.
- Reflexive, responsive, autonomous, and adaptable; capable of juggling competing deadlines with ease while remaining self-sufficient and attentive to detail and accuracy.
- Innate curiosity and creative mind with an eagerness to understand people’s motivations from a consumer growth terrain perspective.
- A data-driven storyteller, comfortable with numbers and analytics to provide the right scenarios, opportunities, and assets for our founder cohorts.
- Experience with DTC, social media, eCommerce, and the consumer tech sector is preferred.
What you'll do
- Conduct research and develop associated collateral within various consumer and consumer tech verticals to determine industry trends and opportunities.
- Support Foundry Leadership in educating and mentoring our founder cohorts by designing business and testing strategies to validate hypotheses.
- Assist business development activities by researching industry trends and creating supporting materials with the goal of cementing M13 as the corporate accelerator for large consumer and consumer tech partners.
- Create and maintain relevant sections of the Playbook in order to manage the idea pipeline, projects, and more.
- Help network build and connect by attending events, hosting community events, collaborating with partners, and engaging on social media in an effort to drive referrals and applications for our founder cohort.
- Exposure to Agile, Lean Startup, and Design Thinking methodologies is a plus.
- MBA is a plus.
What's in it for you
- One Team, One Dream - A chance to work alongside world-class talent in a collaborative culture that is respectful, inclusive, diverse, and inspiring.
- Comprehensive Health Package - Medical, dental, and vision plans that are insightful and supportive of the needs of each M13 employee.
- Open PTO Policy - We're focused on work/life balance and therefore set no firm guidelines as to how much time off each employee is permitted to take.
- Employee Profit Sharing Program.
- 401(k) Retirement Plan.
- Many more excellent perks available within our comprehensive benefits program.
M13 Fund II is a $150M venture fund, making it one of the largest consumer tech-dedicated venture funds in Southern California with top-tier investors and advisors. Prior to this new fund, M13 deployed $100M from its first fund, building a portfolio that includes Lyft, Ring, Juul, Bonobos, ClassPass, Rothy’s, Daily Harvest, and many others.
The goal of our incubator is to be the leading consumer technology innovation studio in the world. Our strategies to do so are focused on reducing as much friction as possible prior to launch. We are obsessed with founding teams and place particular focus on equipping them with the tools and resources they need to be successful. Our second area of focus is ensuring the operational success of the business by taking a data-driven approach to testing and validation of important aspects prior to launch.
M13 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.