Vice President, Commercial Marketing
Universal Music Group is looking for a VP, Commercial Marketing/Label Relations to be a part of the Caroline/Capitol Commercial Marketing Team. This role will lead the commercial marketing, artist marketing and commercial operations teams. In addition, the role will also oversee commercial marketing promo with select physical and digital partner accounts. This role will partner with our labels/managers/artists to develop & execute on campaigns that navigate the best course to market for their releases. This role will work in tandem with various Caroline/Capitol/UMG team departments under the direction of the EVP, Caroline.
- Label Relations: Work directly with Caroline labels on identifying opportunity for their release schedule, lead bi-weekly call agendas and ensure goals are being met via reporting and Caroline team communications
- Artist Relations: Liaise directly with managers and artists during specific promo events to ensure execution runs smoothly
- Partner Account Lead: Act as the primary point of contact for Caroline repertoire across a number of partner accounts
- Product Forecast/P&L/Budgeting: Project sales potential and monitor/advise on best product cost structures resulting in reasonable marketplace valuation at retail while providing maximum profitability margins with built in per-unit marketing funds.
- Product Production: Liaise with production teams on sourcing the most appropriate and cost-effective manufacturing.
- Marketing Strategy: Work with partners to create dynamic/engaging marketing campaigns that drive commercial results.
- Marketing Liaison: When not running a campaign, the candidate will be responsible for guiding our label partners on creating well thought out and creative plans.
- PR Outreach & Guidance: Help to suggest appropriate PR teams for our partners and act as the lead in liaising with them on the creation of a strong PR campaign that compliments the other marketing and sales activities.
- Digital Marketing Strategy: Work with the Caroline digital department to ensure that our partners are creating creative, innovative campaigns that engage fans utilizing pre-existing social platforms and new technologies.
- Community Relations: Understand, be immersed and have thorough knowledge of vinyl music sector with experience of events, networks, digital and social media platforms, and grassroots/street marketing.
- Catalog Promotions: Through a series of reporting, keep a watchful eye on title performance and suggest promotional opportunities to further exploit or event-ize revenue generating moments for our artist's catalogs
- Label Meetings: Be available for all label meetings to act as a sounding board and strategist.
- Weekly Updates: Create weekly updates for the team highlighting growth areas and opportunities for Vinyl/Catalog releases. Also work with label partners to ensure they are consistently delivering concise updates across the category.
- Label/Artist Courting: Available during negotiations as it relates to marketing strategy and label relations. This role is representative of the category in pitch meetings.
- Data Driven Analytics: Know how to query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations.
- Culture Driven Focus: Know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations.
- Caroline "branding"/visibility: Act as a "face" to Caroline, maintaining a presence at concerts and events.
- Proven leader in the commercial and streaming space
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, independent music environment
- Experience strategizing and executing sales and marketing campaigns, as well as pitching proposals for prospective clients (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you've worked on)
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Must have strong music industry relationships and vision to collaborate with PR, Promo, digital and marketing teams
- Experience with cross-promotional marketing and branding
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful. Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
- 5+ years' experience as a VP level or above, leading a team of at least 7-10 people
- Advanced level artist/label relations experience in a consumer-focused organization
- 10+ years' experience in music industry sales and marketing
- Existing relationships with labels and/or brands and existing contacts at commercial/marketing platforms
- College degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.