Social Media & PR Manager
Want to be part of an exciting startup that is having a positive impact on the world?
Lumos is the world's first smart bicycle helmet with integrated lights, brake, and turn signals. Launched to the world on Kickstarter in 2015, Lumos raised over $800,000 in its campaign. It has been featured on Forbes, Fast Company, The BBC, and CNN.
Lumos is the first and only helmet of any kind to be sold at the Apple Store, and is currently on sale in over 300 Apple Stores in the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia.
Lumos has been named one of Oprah’s Favorite Things, TIME Magazine’s “Best Inventions of 2018”, and “The Helmet That Every Bike Commuter Needs” by Slate Magazine.
Lumos is a mission-driven company. Started out of our dorm rooms at Harvard, we seek to make a positive impact on the world by helping make cycling safer, preventing avoidable traffic deaths, and helping more people everywhere make cycling a bigger part of their everyday lives.
Join us in our mission to improve cycling safety and have safer streets for all.
You are perfect for us if you are:
A digital native who loves using social media both as a consumer as well as a content producer. You love telling stories and creating content to post on social media, and you're looking for an opportunity to use that passion in your professional life to be an influential part of a small team building an exciting new consumer brand.
Where you will be in a year:
- Developed our brand and personality on social media - Working closely with the team and founders of the company, you will help translate our brand vision into the stories that we create, produce, and post on social media. Your voice will have played a major part into the setting and execution of that strategy, and that vision.
- Supported key relationships with PR and attained features on mass media - Through the use of your people skills, you'll help developed and maintain some of our key relationships with members of the press media, and strategized how best to get our story covered and featured in the media.
- Developed and executed our influencer strategy - Through the use of your people skills, you'll have develop our influencer outreach strategy, and executed on it to help create a community of influencers supporting Lumos's products and brand.
We've built a great product that has a strong following, great PR, and that literally saves lives. We need a Social Media and PR Manager who will help us tell our story well on social media and PR.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Social Media:
- Primarily consisting of Instagram and Facebook, you will develop our content creation strategy and ensure that we tell our story well, and frequently on social media.
- Own our content calendar
- Help develop our communications strategy for any given PR event
- Do PR outreach to get coverage of our story
- Identify key and appropriate influencers in our space and conduct outreach
Lumos has been around for a few years now, but we are still very much a young early stage company. As such, a high degree of adaptability, independence, and initiative is expected and required to do well at Lumos.
We are constantly learning new things and adapting our strategy and activities accordingly. As such, JDs are looked at more as a guideline at Lumos. We eschew roles and seek people willing and able to go beyond the JD when necessary to fix the problem and get the job done regardless of our “jobs”.
- 2 – 5 years of professional experience in a marketing or social media role at a consumer brand, marketing/PR agency, or startup.
- Excellent sense of visual aesthetic, and what makes for an interesting and compelling story on social media.
- Any background, skill, or personal passion for photo or videography a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced being a bike commuter in an American or European city at some point in their life. Passion for biking, skateboarding, or snowboarding a huge plus.
- Highly independent and balanced between being a “thinker-planner” and “doer”. You are a creative strategic thinker able to develop ideas for marketing strategies and campaigns, and can also get your hands dirty to get things done yourself.
- Interest in startups, entrepreneurship, and building things from the ground up