Director of Artist & Curator Channels
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world's leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized catalog marketing division for UMG, spearheading marketing, brand partnerships, sales, licensing, and more for the music catalog.
UMe is presently seeking a Director of Artist & Curator Channels in the company's Santa Monica, CA location. This position will partner and liaise with labels, artists & managers to develop and deliver effective artist and branded curator infrastructure, execute marketing campaigns that maximize potential revenue streams and market share. This role will facilitate the development of strategies, processes and management of artist channels and branded curator profiles for the UMe commercial & marketing teams as well as oversee their implementation, measurement, oversight and progress. Core functions include development and realization of channel access, strategies, reporting, tools, metrics, benchmarks, technology initiatives, and infrastructure to support and improve the operational functions and output. This position will be a globally focused in-order to maximize both commercial and marketing efforts.
- Obtain and manage access to artist and label YouTube channels, Spotify for Artists profiles and Apple for Artists profiles
- YouTube OAC expert; manage channels on behalf of artists and label, provide content and strategy, including Community Tab engagement, channel curation and best practises
- Spotify and Apple artist profile expert; manage profiles on behalf of artists and label, provide content and strategy, including profile curation, playlisting, creative and best practises
- Centrally manage UMe branded curator profiles (NOW, Motown, Def Jam, etc) across multiple commercial partners, build marketing calendar strategies that support the brand, vision and maximize brand equity
- Liaise with A&R Specialists and Content Creators to curate artist and brand playlists across multiple commercial partners
- Liaise with Product Managers and Artist/Estate Managers to maximize channel, profile marketing and commercial output
- Identify marketing & commercial opportunities to maximize artist and curator revenue and market share
- Use analytics & consumer insights to inform effective playlisting initiatives, marketing & commercial decisions
- In conjunction with marketing and social media teams, develop artist channel and curator currency in the form of social media support, playlisting and various others uses of platforms and partner tool-kits
- Seek, secure and ensure promotional opportunities are executed within the scope of opportunity across channels
- Effectively communicate specific data points that are meaningful to artist/manager and curator expectations
- Understand the demographics that comprise artists' and curator brand fan bases to maximize channel output and communication
- Be immersed and speak eloquently to the relevance of an artist and branded curators within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for artist and curator brands and manage relations to deliver desired results
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to effectively communicate strategy, results and market conditions that will drive project growth and optimization
- Strong communication skills with the ability to write and convey marketing plans/efforts to artist, executives and management teams
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, including adaptability & effectiveness to work with team members from diverse backgrounds
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including prioritization and follow through
- Proven ability to build and manage strategic technology partnerships
- Strong grasp of collaboration and asset management tools
- Excellent presentation, communication and analysis skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and operate effectively in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to work in a collaborative, cross-team capacity
- 5+ years of applicable experience in the music industry (experience at the partner level, marketing and operational preferred)
- Experience strategizing, executing marketing and channel management whether artist or curator brands
- Must have numerous key contact/relationships across divisions of YouTube, Apple, Spotify and other strategic partners
- Strong background in social and digital marketing
- Must be tech savvy with a deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Must be familiar with/able to navigate information tools and utilize numerous data dashboards
- Must be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful
- Must be highly organized and able to prioritize and multi-task
- Bachelor's preferred.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.