We're looking for a creative and energetic communications associate to help drive awareness of Tala’s work and impact among the U.S. and international media, influencers, and key external stakeholders. This role will be influential in crafting and disseminating all aspects of Tala’s story, whether developing narratives about data science for a niche outlet, drafting remarks for a global development event, or building a social media campaign around customer stories.
The communications associate will be a member of the corporate communications team, collaborating with other customer-facing brands, creative and marketing functions, and will report to the Director, Global PR, and Communications.
- Drive the editorial strategy for Tala’s corporate platforms, including social media and blog; build and maintain Tala’s editorial calendar
- Create compelling, medium-appropriate content for Tala’s owned channels
- Draft talking points, op-eds, blog posts and other written materials for Tala’s senior leadership
- Assist in the management of media relations, including responding to inquiries, building media lists, maintaining positive relationships, and driving outreach
- Work across Tala’s functional and in-country teams to identify and build narratives that align with Tala’s corporate brand strategy
- Strong writing skills and ability to turn around writing projects with parallel deadlines
- Project management, organizational and follow-up skills
- Minimum 1 year with HTML/CSS + online environments, Adobe Creative Suite (or similar applications), experience working with a variety of CMS in a work environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a similar field
- Comfortable with tracking timelines and resources in Google Sheets
- Experience with graphic design and creating visual content
- Strong, confident writer with copy and proofing skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate ideas visually, verbally and in writing
- Working fluency in Spanish, Tagalog and/or Swahili (Kenyan/Tanzanian)
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. Unlike traditional credit scoring, Tala's proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by Forbes, the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others. Tala is headquartered in Los Angeles with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, and Mexico City.