Manufacturing Process Development Engineer - Vehicles
The Automation & Manufacturing Division is responsible to build, and to develop the processes and equipment that will build the Hyperloop. Ultimately, we will bring fully integrated and highly automated manufacturing systems online, turning product innovations into reality. We are seeking candidates with various levels of experience to join our team of highly qualified, diverse individuals.
The Manufacturing Process Development Engineer will be based in Los Angeles, CA. The ideal candidate will develop and implement optimal, cost-effective vehicle manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and automotive and aerospace quality standards. Will recommend and implement tooling concepts and improvements to manufacturing processes.
- Work directly with design engineers to understand design requirements and propose, develop manufacturing options.
- Provide subject matter expertise on the fabrication, assembly and joining systems of aerospace or automotive space structures.
- Perform data analysis to identify special and common cause problems.
- Draws preliminary sketches and prepares layout and detail drawings, using standard drafting tools and equipment or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software
- Applies algebraic and geometric formulas and standard tool engineering data to develop tool configuration.
- Engage with manufacturing, design engineering and shop personnel to resolve design problems related to material characteristics, dimensional tolerances, service requirements, manufacturing procedures, and cost.
- Rationalizes parts in assemblies to save cost and improve reliability.
- Performs research, design, prototyping and development of manufacturing tooling including cycle time, ergonomics, assembly methods, production equipment, and environmental impact.
- Is proficient in producing win-win design for manufacture and assembly tooling concepts and designs.
- Designs, develops and tests and/or sources and cost-justify various tools, machinery and equipment for recommended manufacturing methods.
- Modifies tool designs according to trial or production service data to improve tool life or performance
- Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement, and improved efficiency.
- Identify potential environmental aspects of design processes to minimize their impacts.
- Represents and champions manufacturing on cross-functional teams.
- Knowledgeable in and experience with CMM metrology tools, 3D Laser scanning techniques.
- Computer and computer assisted design (CAD) proficiency. NX preferred.
- Responsible for developing manufacturing specifications to support procurement and automation efforts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
An experienced leader with appropriate industry experience, preferably in both aerospace and automotive fields. An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards. Excellent spatial design, assembly abilities with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong process focus. A well organized and self-directed individual who is a team player. An articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills. A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well versed in systems.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
- Knowledgeable in several sheet metal joining systems.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Technical skills in manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, assembly, and production equipment.
- High performance teams and a strong team player.
- Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques.
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a 3-6 month time span.
- The ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Product development.
- Quality orientation and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- At least five years of experience
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex drawings. Ability to make effective and persuasive design decisions and presentations on complex manufacturing topics to design engineers, managers and operational staff.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use
hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear.
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.