Senior IP Counsel
The Senior IP Counsel will be part of the in-house Legal department. This team is the first point of reference and contact for all legal matters and advice at Virgin Hyperloop One. The team is busy and expanding so we are looking for a self-starter who can hit the ground running.
We are looking for a highly experienced intellectual property attorney to protect our innovations in the transportation sector. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Developing our global patent development strategy.
• Providing advice to engineers and business development teams on all intellectual property matters, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, licensing, and open source compliance.
• Working with in-house subject matter experts and outside counsel to file, prosecute and maintain our patent portfolio in a cost-effective manner.
• Partnering with commercial and corporate teams to provide strategic advice on new initiatives.
• Advising the business on a wide range of day-to-day IP issues that require legal review.
• Working with foreign local counsel on the foregoing to the extent there is an international component.
• Advising on export control laws.
This candidate must possess the drive to achieve quick results in a fast-paced environment and have the capacity to assume increasing responsibility in a global organization. Ideal candidates will have passion and interest in technology and the desire to be part of a team with goals to revolutionize the transportation industry. Must also have:
• Strong work ethic and high integrity
• Ability to proactively identify issues
• Ability to work independently, with appropriate oversight, as well as part of a larger team of attorneys and business professionals.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• Have a J.D. with excellent academic credentials;
• Have experience independently developing a patent portfolio;
• Have experience independently developing an IP portfolio development strategy, explaining to non-lawyers how IP should be protected, and managing patent application preparation
• Have at least 7 years of related experience at a law firm and/or in-house
• Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office
• Admitted to the California bar OR be admitted to at least one U.S. state bar and be willing to become registered in-house counsel.
• A strong understanding of electromagnetic technologies, mechanical and civil engineering principles, and software control systems.
o managing patent prosecution;
o counseling on open source software issues;
o counseling on trademark questions;
o assisting litigation counsel on intellectual property litigation issues;
o working with companies in the transportation or aerospace industries;
o advising on export control laws; and
o monetizing a patent portfolio.