Paralegal/Rights & Contracts
We are seeking a paralegal to work in a multi-faceted role in Business Affairs. This position requires analysis of complex legal documents and the ability to accurately represent detailed rights information in multiple digital databases.
The candidate will also perform administrative functions, maintaining the accuracy of the legal info in the database and completing various clean-up projects. Attention to detail is an absolute necessity.
Work daily with the UMG Business Affairs to identify and obtain relevant contracts for entry into the rights management applications. Analyze complex legal agreements and recording rights data into the databases so that this information can be applied to repertoire and made available to the rest of the organization.
Liaise with Business Affairs to accurately interpret and summarize the contractual language and articulate rights information for various other teams at UMG. Keep deals up to date as the result of a ongoing negotiations, contractual amendments, option pick-ups, drop notices, expiration of rights, etc.
Work with royalties business affairs to ensure royalties provisions are swiftly captured and to manage the communication and relationship between royalties business affairs and the responsible attorney. Facilitate the approval of all rights and royalties provisions captured in the system by the relevant attorney in a timely fashion.
Link agreements to all relevant repertoire and maintain repertoire-level rights exceptions. This includes clean-up projects and updates as deals change (e.g. accurately moving repertoire from one deal to another while ensuring there's no negative impact on the digital supply chain).
- Familiarity with music industry agreements, including: recording, distribution, label ventures, film & TV, etc.
- Task-oriented and organized, with the ability to stay on top of multiple initiatives at one time
- Ability to maintain focus and complete detailed contractual analysis on a regular basis
- Proficient technical skills (experience and comfortability using web-based applications, MS Excel, etc.)
- Comfortable in a rights management role rather than ambitious to move into a deal negotiation role
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- 2+ years experience in entertainment the music law industries preferred
- Knowledge of digital asset delivery, content operations or metadata management (preferred)
- Contract administration and/or paralegal experience (preferred)
- Bachelor's degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.