Head of Legal
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are redefining design, manufacturing and operational processes, to create the first true 21st-century aerospace company. We are looking for a Head of Legal to join our growing team at our headquarters in Los Angeles. As the Head of Legal at Relativity, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing all legal, contractual, and regulatory aspects affecting our company. As a strategic and hands-on partner to the Relativity leadership team, you find the optimal trade-off between resolving issues on your own, or identifying and leveraging external counsel. Your recommendations will enable optimal contract outcomes, regulatory compliance, and minimize risk. You will report to the VP of Operations.
Outcomes and Objectives:
To help us re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown, as Relativity’s Head of Legal, you will
• Provide expert and strategic legal advice for Relativity’s leadership team on all matters related to contracts and regulatory obligations
• Support contract drafting and negotiation in connection with business development and commercial agreements, including continuous development of contracts processes.
• Work cross functionally to ensure contract compliance obligations are met
• Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
• Be the point person for external parties (regulators, external counsel, customers and suppliers) in all contract matters
• Advise on data privacy and intellectual property matters.
• Manage various legal compliance requirements across multiple states, as needed
• Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
• Advise on equity plan administration
• Manage outside counsel and Relativity’s legal budget
To be successful in this role, you should have 3+ years of experience in general law in a business environment, ideally in a small-to-mid-sized, high-growth environment in a technology company. Additionally, experience working in a field that is exposed to regulation is required, for example in the aerospace or transportation sector. Flexible to cover a large variety of legal fields, you show excellent judgment around when to engage with and solve a problem on your own, vs. when to engage outside counsel to complement skill sets.
You are a true enabler to the business through contributing thorough analyses and insights of legal frameworks, making recommendations that optimize business value while minimizing risks, and continuously expanding your understanding of critical areas. While a variety of expertise is required for the role, it is clearly a learning trajectory, and a passion to dive into new areas and master them quickly is an absolute must. You thrive in ambiguous environments, are passionate about building structure from scratch, and have an untiring focus on excellent results.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years proven general counsel experience in a business environment
- Experience in the aerospace/transportation sector preferred (exposure to DOT/FAA regulations, ITAR, EAR)
- Overall broad legal knowledge (Corporate law, contracts, regulatory, employment, patents)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Proven ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- You bring a thought leadership mindset to the table to support a high performance and growth environment, but you don’t mind operating at the tactical level as needed
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills, with the ability to think strategically and balance business needs with legal risks
- Outstandin written, interpersonal and communication skills
- Always an enthusiastic team player with a strong drive to create a positive work environment.
- Comfortable with high-volume workload and self-driven prioritization.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description