Associate General Counsel
As Associate General Counsel reporting into the Office of the CEO for a mission-driven clean energy technology company, you will accelerate the adoption of clean energy and connected home technologies by managing Inspire’s corporate, commercial, and transactional legal needs. You’ll gain broad exposure to Inspire’s business and strategy, be trusted to maintain strong internal and external relationships, and have as much freedom and opportunity as you earn to strengthen your legal and business superpowers as Inspire continues to grow. We’re looking for a diligent and strategic thinker who’s ready to take on initiatives that influence all aspects of Inspire’s business, is ready to join a rapidly growing start-up, and wants to play a key role in maximizing Inspire’s impact on the world.
THE ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL HAS EIGHT MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviewing, interpreting, and negotiating agreements covering the full scope of Inspire’s corporate and commercial activities, including financial transactions, M&A, licensing agreements, service agreements, partnership agreements, sales and marketing agreements, and vendor agreements.
- Playing a key role in the evaluation of potential corporate transactions, due diligence matters, obtaining any governance and/or regulatory approvals, and assisting with any post-closing activities.
- Partnering with cross-functional internal departments and teams as a key stakeholder for legal matters to ensure the success of product lines and/or customer-related initiatives.
- Responsibility for the selection, retention, management, evaluation, and optimization of all outside counsel.
- Collaborating with world-class external advisors on corporate, intellectual property, and special project matters.
- Supporting corporate governance and administration for Inspire and its subsidiaries/affiliates, including preparing and reviewing Board materials, corporate resolutions, and Board operations.
- Creating and improving company-wide policies, procedures, and standard agreements; advising on strategic legal matters and legal implications to mitigate risk and protect Inspire’s business.
- Maintaining awareness of current and applicable developments in the legal landscape; continually reviewing and analyzing trends that could impact Inspire’s business.
- You are motivated to work at a purpose-driven company and be part of a mission.
- You have demonstrated stellar judgment.
- You have an ownership mentality and take responsibility for key outcomes.
- You communicate legal conclusions clearly to those who do not have a legal background.
- You can set clear targets and manage a cross-functional effort to achieve those targets.
- You motivate and inspire others around you.
- You lead by setting an example of hard work and problem solving.
- Must Have
- J.D. from a top tier program.
- Admitted to practice in California or eligible for in-house counsel registration.
- Minimum 5 years experience in technology, energy, connected home or related sector, with at least 2 years experience handling corporate and commercial transactions and interacting with senior executives.
- Excellent legal and business judgment, strategic thinking, and ability to manage multiple matters, with a willingness and curiosity to learn areas outside of expertise.
- Detail-oriented and organized team player, with unrivaled ethics, integrity, and ability to prioritize effectively in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Nice to Have
- Experience in reviewing, negotiating, and documenting complex corporate transactions, including those involving internal stakeholders, managing proper governance and legal oversight from discovery to post-closing activities.
- Experience working with high-growth venture-backed and public companies.
- Experience working with a variety of corporate structures.
Disrupting the one-size-fits-all utility model, Inspire’s groundbreaking smart home subscription seamlessly combines personalized clean energy plans with best-in-class smart devices. Using the Inspire app, members can self drive their smart homes from anywhere, and select automated settings to use less energy while earning rewards. Inspire strives to make every home a smart home, powered by clean energy. Inspire’s mission is to drive forward a brighter energy future by simplifying consumer adoption of clean energy and smart home technologies.
Through continual innovation and scaling of connected device interoperability; clean energy supply, generation and storage; and intelligent, decentralized grid services, Inspire is building the world’s first fully-integrated clean energy company.
Launched in January 2014, Inspire homes have used the clean power production equivalent of 121 wind turbines since inception. Driven by a team of mission-driven Avengers in Philadelphia and Santa Monica,, Inspire prides itself on a culture of ownership, teamwork and stalwart obsession with “crushing it!”
CULTURE & PERKS
- Inspire’s culture balances the serious nature and tone of a professional company with the move-fast-and-execute tone of a rapidly growing emerging tech company. We believe in working hard and producing, but doing it in a positive and friendly environment where collaboration is rampant. Inspire calls its employees Avengers. It’s a team out to even the score on behalf of the common man, to challenge the status quo and confront apathy and old-world bureaucracy.
- Every Avenger lives for the mission: To build the world’s most customer-focused clean power platform and inspire a connected movement towards a brighter energy future. Avengers are scrappy, restless, humble and committed to balancing passion with purpose and profit.
- Inspire offers competitive compensation and equity packages, plus benefits such as health, vision, life, and dental insurance - Not to mention, unlimited vacation, 401(k) plan, and LOTS of cupcakes!