Lead Recruiter, Los Angeles
Build a Startup within a Startup
Smarkets is a global technology company based in London, with offices in Malta and Los Angeles. We are one of the world's largest betting exchanges (also known as a prediction market) with significantly better odds than the competition for secure and transparent trading on sporting, political, and current affairs events. Our platform has handled over £3 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. Our strength is technology and trading with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a team of 100, boasting employees of more than 34 nationalities. We have been listed as one of 10 European startups to watch by the Wall Street Journal; and in 2017, was named the 25th fastest-growing company in Europe in the inaugural FT1000 ranking. In September 2017, Smarkets was the 2nd in The Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
The Lead Recruiter will be among the first hires in our new Downtown Los Angeles office, and play an active role on a team defining and delivering new US sectors for Smarkets. The growth path for the Lead Recruiter will be defined largely by the impact of the individual in the role.
Please note: Smarkets is unable to offer work sponsorship for this role and all candidates must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States.
Smarkets is searching to find an excellent recruiter to lead the hiring of at least 25 people in the next twelve months. This role requires an individual of exceptional intelligence, talent, instinct, and determination.
Smarkets is changing the way markets operate, making them more efficient, fair, and valuable. Nothing is more critical to our growth than hiring the right people who will help build a great company. This role is an uncommon opportunity to make a significant difference in Smarkets’ global success.
- The Lead Recruiter will be responsible for proactive full-cycle hiring with an emphasis on direct recruiting, effective networking, leveraging external targeted research, and promoting internal referrals. The budget for external vendors will be limited to a small and defined portion of the total need. (Up to this point, external/contingency recruiting has produced only a minor percentage of our global headcount.)
- The Lead Recruiter must have previous start-up experience (essential) and maintain uncompromising hiring standards. The right candidate will have a strong sense of purpose and excellent customer service skills. This role is based in DTLA and cannot be accomplished remotely or with a part-time presence.
- Above all, you must be an excellent recruiter, not just a good recruiter. A problem-solver who has contributed materially to an emerging technology company by recruiting the right candidates to support a period of high growth. And then lived with these results over time.
- Past success as an internal recruiter. Direct, proactive recruiting experience: the ability to learn what drives a candidate; how this aligns with the needs of the role; how to speak to these drivers based on the Smarkets’ opportunity and our value proposition in the marketplace; and how to close the candidates we want to hire.
- The ability to recruit software engineers and related technical roles. (The Smarkets platform is written predominantly on Python and Erlang, and relies heavily on asynchronous programming techniques. We use REST where we can. We deploy to production several times a day. Our software stack is built around Linux, Vagrant, Flask, Postgres, RabbitMQ, Git and Ansible.) While a technical background is not required, you will need to demonstrate your ability to source, evaluate, interview, and close core engineers – and how you separate excellent candidates from all the rest.
- The ability to build relationships with hiring teams and drive decisions. This requires practical intelligence, active listening, organization, accountability, effective persuasion, complete comfort with asking others to fill-in knowledge gaps, flexibility, and a permeating positive attitude.
- The ability to make things happen. Strong personal drive, integrity, good humour, and honesty.
- A progressive, non-hierarchical self-management company structure (similar to Valve)
- Stock options and profit-sharing program
- Generous paid-vacation policy
- Free lunch daily; free snacks and drinks
- Monthly parties
- 100% employer paid health insurance
- Downtown LA office very close to the metro (7th and Metro)
- Convenient downtown location near public transportation
Compensation dependent upon years of experience.
Smarkets provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In compliance with US Federal law, all persons hired by Smarkets will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.