Vice President, People
Greater LA Area
Are you the kind of executive-level leader who knows that the key to any strategic plan is getting the people aligned? Interested in the challenge of taking an award-winning culture to the next level with a strong focus on developing people and growing the team? Then our Vice President, People role might be the exact thing you’ve been looking for in a sea of HR executive look-alike roles. The VP, People is responsible for thoughtfully designing the employee life cycle to serve ChowNow’s mission, restaurant clients, and ambitious growth plan by helping employees have a rewarding employment experience focused on professional growth.
This executive-level leader works closely with the executive team on our people strategy. You’ll find creative ways to promote and encourage a unique, high-performing, dynamic company culture by translating this vision for each employee group, clarifying roles and goals, and assisting with internal communications. Defining our employer brand and ensuring the organization ranks among the best places to work is a key result for this position.
About the Team:
At ChowNow, we are passionate about serving the needs of over 10,000 restaurants to help them compete in an increasingly technical world. Our team works on products focused on restaurant clients and their diners (who transact nearly $500 million annually on the ChowNow platform).
We believe positive relationships enable our team to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to getting big things done together.
Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — 5 minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor.
About the Position:
As the VP, People, you will lead our recruiting, training, and HR administration functions (currently 3 directly/2 indirectly) and report to the CEO. Our company currently has 160 employees and expects to hit 200 by the end of 2018. About 120 employees work at our headquarters in Los Angeles and another 40 work in various metro areas around the country.
Working from our Los Angeles office, you will:
- Create and build a People strategy that aligns and moves the business towards continued growth and innovation.
- Function as a strategic business partner in the overall growth strategy and as an advisor to senior leadership regarding organizational and management issues.
- Oversee and approve initiatives to sustain high levels of employee engagement via internal communications, programs, and strategies that promote a positive, healthy, and high-performing work environment.
Within 30 Days, You’ll...
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience).
- Complete training with all of our customer facing roles (Restaurant Success, Sales, Customer Support).
- Develop a draft of the ChowNow Employee Lifecycle Journey with the People+Culture team.
Within 90 Days, You’ll...
- Navigate ChowNow’s move to a large company health benefits plan and execute 2018 open enrollment cycle.
- Develop roadmap to ensure ChowNow achieves our aggressive employee promotion goals (25% in 2018).
Within 6 Months, You’ll...
- Launch career mapping process.
- Build our ChowNow Alumni group to over 50 members on LinkedIn and have it produce 2 recommendation hires.
- Ensure 75% of ChowNow employees have participated in career mapping conversations.
Within 1 Year, You’ll...
- Ensure ChowNow is ranked as Best Place to Work by a major outlet.
- Have our new careers page achieving goals around engagement and opt-in.
You Should Apply If:
- Experience in a Tech SAAS business serving the needs of a broad range of employees
- You have 10+ years of experience in human resources and organizational development.
- You have 5+ years of building & leading employee-centric HR teams that include cross-functional roles (training, recruiting, in addition to core-HR).
- You have a strong track record and history of creating engaging employee programs.
- You have the ability to foresee, interpret, and rapidly respond to industry changes by adjusting strategies and realigning priorities accordingly.
- You have the ability to build out new processes, systems, and structures as well as optimize existing ones.
About Our Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Open Vacation Policy; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- Six weeks of fully paid primary parental leave and two weeks secondary leave
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
Read Full Job Description