Sr. Manager, EHS (Environmental, Health, and Safety)
The Senior Manager, Environment Health and Safety will have ownership and management for the Virgin Hyperloop One (VHO) Environmental Health & Safety program (EHS). The Senior Manager will effectively manage and mitigate exposure while creating a compelling environmental management safety vision and strategy where "safety is a value" and in alignment with the core company values.
VHO has a duty of care for employees, contractors and visitors. It is the responsibility of the EHS team to participate in the different activities occurring globally throughout the organization, to develop the necessary programs and practices that maintain that duty of care on a firm, fair and consistent basis.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for ensuring a safe and healthy working environment for all VHO staff, visitors and contractors. This includes controlling risks to individuals and the environment that are posed through the direct activities of the VHO organization, by applying best practice controls to all operational processes.
• The EH&S Sr Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, executing, monitoring, and auditing all EH&S initiatives to ensure EH&S compliance and continuously improve EH&S performance.
• Assure that the connection between EHS and the entire organization’s operation is aligned and working in unison toward one clear vision and mission
• Create record keeping management system and audit Global Safety Database entries to ensure compliance to global safety standards and local regulations.
• Analyze safety metrics and review incident weekly and monthly incident trends to discover trends to justify the allocation of appropriate resources to areas where the safety risk is highest.
• Manage near-miss incidents, lost-time injuries or illnesses, and work with injured workers, TPA, and clinic to manage Worker's Compensation Claims.
• Provides strong understanding of Workers’ Compensation
• Review injury/illness and non-injury incident investigation reports and works alongside Talent Operations with any injuries
• Responsible for emergency planning and emergency teams. Responds to all EH&S emergencies such as those involving hazardous materials incidents or spills, combustible dust hazards, confined space, first aid etc.
• Develop implement, and maintain all written EH&S programs and policies in accordance with OSHA, Cal-OSHA, USEPA and/or corporate standards and in compliance with applicable laws
• Prepare & submit regulatory reports to local, state, federal & corporate entities as required.
• Ensure programs meet all Federal, State, country and local regulatory & licensing and policy requirements, and include assessed site EH&S risks and management of compliance calendars and actions
• Preparation and implementation of all environmental permits, reports, training and related requirements.
• Lead and identify EH&S design guidelines and environmental specifications during engineering design reviews
• Ensures effective training on new equipment and related processes to ensure safety assessments are completed and issues are addressed. Ensures onsite subject matter experts are trained for future employee training and annual reviews and update
• Develop, implement and coordinate an EH&S Management System that helps improve employee engagement, reduce business risks and guide personnel in continuous improvement initiatives regarding EH&S policies
• Oversee EH&S Risk Management to mitigate, prevent or control EH&S risks arising from operations or the business
• Responsible for evaluating and implementing EH&S best practices to continuously improve compliance and management effectiveness
• Promote safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, newsletters, and/or specific training programs
• Instruct training for EHS courses, as required.
• Promote a culture of safety and raising safety awareness
• Gather & analyze EHS data, develop goals/targets & manage scorecards, databases and dashboards for EHS related programs & metrics.
• Monitoring of pollution control equipment. Coordinate fugitive emissions program. Site lead for SCAQMD requirements and permits
• Strong safety knowledge base with experience designing safety programs and process improvement, performing job hazard analysis and worker safety program development. Expertise in implementing, training and tracking, calculating and analyzing data to determine KPI’s resulting in solutions to process changes
• You understand what drives employee engagement and how to get your teams to perform what they think is possible
• You paint a compelling, value-added picture of the optimal safety organization and know how to take practical steps to get there
• You get things done. You drive alignment, clarity, focus and accountability, and marshal people and resources to accomplish the goal on time and on budget
• A servant leader, you don’t issue orders from the tower, but rather are in it with the team and have keen fidelity of the details
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• Strong track record of EHS experience within an engineering, manufacturing, and research and design (R&D) environment
• Experience with Health and Wellness, OSHA, EPA, ISO14001, OHSAS18001, Business Continuity Planning, “Green” Manufacturing, LEED Design, TSCA, EPCRA, Workers Compensation
• Knowledge of global and US-based EHS legal requirements (i.e.: Regulations, Codes, Standards, Directives, and Administrative Policies) and provide regulatory, technical and EHS engineering knowledge, and EHS management systems
• Experience in handling various audits and completing action plans for improvements
• Knowledge of applicable laws related to environment, health and safety and related compliances
• Experience handling Environmental, Health and Safety awareness and implementation initiatives
• Ability to direct cross-functional work groups to achieve objectives, goals and timelines
• Experience prioritizing and managing multiple & technical assignments concurrently.
• Strong communication, business, technical, analytical and planning skills
• Demonstrated leadership, people management and team-building skills
• Extensive Project Management
• Computer Literacy
• Availability to travel up to 30% of the time
• High level of initiative
• Experience developing and implementing goals and strategies based on organization goals
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health Safety Management or related field
• Advanced degree, MBA preferred
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP) – Board of Safety Professionals
• Strong MS Office Skills
• OSHA Authorized Course Training Certification strongly preferred
• Advanced membership, registration and/or certification for OHSAS18001, ISO9001 or similar accredited EHS management systems