People Operations (HR) Business Partner
LegalZoom’s People Operations are the caregivers of LegalZoom’s most valuable asset – Zoomers. We strive to promote a dynamic culture that empowers Zoomers to be their best. We bring our expertise to all of those typical HR activities such as Talent Management, Onboarding, Learning and Development, Performance Management, Benefits, Perks, Compensation, Engagement, and Employee Relations so that all Zoomers can thrive.
As People Ops Business Partners, we focus our energy on business needs, carefully listening to the challenges, and working with Zoomers to get to an optimal outcome. We view ourselves as trusted, yet flexible, consultants and advisors, with a specific expertise in all things "HR". Working in People Ops at LegalZoom enables you to redefine what positive human resources practices are. We reimagine Events, Onboarding, Perks, and Communications so they deeply resonate with our workforce.
As a Senior PO Business Partner, you bring deep knowledge, as well as a broad skillset, to the teams and initiatives you're embedded on. You act as the go-to resource for all things related to people -- ranging from Performance Management to Total Rewards to crafting and creating change management efforts. You provide key counsel to department leadership as you work collaboratively with People Ops functional experts. You work on developing and evolving talent programs that'll help Zoomers thrive, and you act as a strategist, coach, culture evangelist, talent steward, and designer/deployer of tools and programs that turn Zoomer potential into performance and results.
This position reports to the VP, People Operations, and will have responsibility for client groups in both Glendale, CA and Austin, TX.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for Zoomers and Leadership and provides HR support, advice, counsel and consulting for designated client groups.
- Attends client meetings and provide People Ops updates and communicates new or updated policies, procedures and programs.
- Works closely with Leadership and Zoomers to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention and mentors managers to enhance their performance management, teammate communications and management skills.
- Partners with People Ops colleagues in the Talent Management, Learning & Development, Total Rewards, and the other functional areas to implement solutions for a scaling business.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues by conducting effective, thorough and objective investigations, documents investigations, analyses and writes comprehensive fact finding reports on teammate relations issues.
- Interprets and applies policies and procedures, past practices and applicable federal and state laws and regulations to decisions impacting employer-Zoomer relations and makes action plan recommendations to management.
- Administers policies and procedures pertaining to Employee Relations practices including but not limited to, leaves of absence, terminations, performance management, payroll notifications, workforce reductions and site relocations.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to daily management of Zoomers, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Prepares training materials and facilitates workshops to orient new managers on policies and procedures (e.g., Performance Management, FMLA/CRFA, Legal Compliance, etc.).
- Works with Leadership on Zoomer Performance Improvement Plans (PIP), obtains approval from and provides feedback to management team regarding PIP and performance assessments.
- Demonstrates growth, mentorship, and consultative skills in guiding others through complex organizational challenges.
- Provides coaching and developmental feedback to people managers and individual contributors.
- Works with department leadership to solve employee relations issues.
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the PO Team to develop programs and policies
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Seven to ten (7-10) years of experience in a HR/PO Generalist/Business Partner/Manager role with proven progression.
- Three to five (3-5) years of experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management, Business, Organizational Design or other relevant field, or equivalent work experience.
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred.
- Experience with cloud-based HRIS system required. Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state employee law compliance and EEO regulations and working knowledge of applicable federal, state and benefit employment laws and regulations.
- Proven ability to manage varied initiatives, adjust to changing priorities, stay focused and organized and ensure that objectives are met.
- Ability to work in and manage ambiguity - dealing with issues that do not always have a process or a system.
- Proven ability to develop positive relationships, relate to others, build rapport and foster collaboration with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, relationship building, consulting, teamwork and leadership experience and skills.
- Strong business and HR acumen, including strong problem solving skills, critical thinking, and analysis.
- Should be assertive and possess strong influencing skills.
- Must be capable of presenting ideas and programs as well as problem resolutions to all levels within the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and translate business strategies into actionable plans.
- Proven ability to effectively coach team members to achieve superior performance, provide meaningful performance feedback and to provide constructive feedback when appropriate.
- Advanced skills with Excel, Word and PowerPoint preferred.
- Excellent time management and organization skills; keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work with sensitive data and maintain strict confidentiality at all times.