sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 4,000 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we're committed to leaving people better than we found them. We're in the business of feeding people, and we're out to change what that means.
About the Role
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the preparation and processing of the bi-weekly payroll, including auditing new hire information for accuracy. You will also process off-cycle payments as needed and analyze, research, and verify discrepancies. Our ideal candidate is a problem-solver who thinks critically and views issues holistically to find end-to-end solutions. This person possesses tremendous multi-tasking with a passion for supporting people and being a vital resource to the team.
Core Job Duties + Responsibilities
- Share the process of a bi-weekly multi-state payroll for 4,000 employees by coordinating with two other payroll specialists, under the direction of the payroll manager.
- Understand multi-state labor/timekeeping laws to process terminations and understand due dates and avoid incurring penalties
- Utilize the Payroll Tracker to understand your daily payroll processing functions aside your team mates
- Maintain appropriate documentation and understand approval processes for payroll transactions
- Maintain payroll records as regulated by federal and state laws and maintain confidentiality of these files
- Complete projects and special assignments as directed by the payroll manager
- Audit data in HRIS system to ensure benefits, hours, rates, hierarchies, accruals, etc, are set up and administered properly
- Assist employees and management with questions, concerns and requests regarding payroll
- Customer service mindset
- Exceptional analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic, changing work environment and work under strict deadlines and maintain calm and collected attitude
- Strategic problem solving skills and able to determine when to escalate issues and concerns
- Good with Excel skills, including intermediate formula building
- Must be process oriented and able to execute measurable, repeatable, compliant payroll processes
- 4 years minimum of experience in payroll administration in a payroll team setting
- Working knowledge of CA and NY payroll regulations, specifically termination regulations
- Knowledge of SOX Compliance and Security Controls
- Experience with reputable payroll systems such as ADP, Workday, Oracle, UltiPro
- Restaurant or retail experience a plus, but not required
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.