Tala is looking for a dynamic CFO to take our company and mission to the next level. The CFO will serve as a key member of the executive team and is a key architect of the company’s financial operations and funding strategy as the company passionately grows its product offering in existing geographies and adds new growth markets. You will partner with management and the Board of Directors to assess the company’s funding needs, design a capital access program suitable for the company’s global consumer lending platform, drive a coherent strategy on the use of the company’s funds and serve as a broad strategic partner on all operational and regulatory matters.
The CFO role is responsible for delivering valuable business analysis as well as defining and reporting valuable metrics that lead to insightful business decision-making and effective execution. You will also build out and lead the finance function as we scale. This is an executive-level role and will handle accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, liquidity strategy and tax reporting. The role will report directly to the CEO and is seasoned leader with prior experience being on a successful executive team.
- Regularly assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s long-term strategy for growth
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO/Investors and make actionable recommendations on strategy
- Assist in establishing yearly corporate objectives
- Lead long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company’s strategic plan
- Development of short-term and long-term strategies for managing liquidity, with future funding rounds, debt facilities, new country launches and foreign exchange moves, among others, as key inputs
- Lead capital markets strategy
- Optimization of company capital structure
- Build and lead a team of accounting/finance/capital markets professionals
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, outside executives, auditors, etc.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by country (vs. budget)
- Complete analysis of financial results; develop recommendations (strategic and tactical)
- Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., new country expansion, new product launches)
- Build and maintain capital budget
- Assist in development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports
- Prepare ad hoc analysis needed for the CEO, Board and Investors
- Ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems (Netsuite, Expensify, Bill.co, etc.)
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures across all countries
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial documents.
- Handle audit process and proper filing of tax returns for all countries
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Lead preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial documents
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation/transfer pricing
- Improve and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues
- 15 + years experience building and running accounting/finance teams, with at least 5 years in an executive role
- Brings a strong strategic, finance skill set evidenced by the ability to analyze business models, forecast financing needs and raise capital at attractive rates and invest capital in a growth dynamic where short-term cash burn is required to build longer-term value.
- Previous experience in consumer credit or FinTech
- Experience leading a finance team and company through Series C and beyond financings and/or through an IPO
- Strong financial modeling, budgeting, valuation, financial analysis and deal structuring experience
- Knowledge and background in GAAP, including the presentation and reporting of GAAP based financial reports
- Experience handling multiple entities
- A strong academic background with a bachelor’s degree from a top university is a plus, but our client cares more about track-record and skill than pedigree.
- Experience with multi-currency accounting, ideally in emerging markets
- Familiarity with foreign exchange risks and mitigants
- Experience working in fast-growing, dynamic environments and can easily adapt to change and re-prioritize
- Familiarity with capital markets strategies
- CPA, CFA, or MBA
We truly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. More than 1.3 million people have borrowed through Tala’s smartphone app, which provides instant credit scoring, lending, and other personalized financial services in emerging markets. Tala has raised more than $105 million from leading venture and impact investors including Revolution, IVP, Ribbit Capital, Data Collective, and Lowercase Capital. Tala’s global team is headquartered in Santa Monica, with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, Mumbai, and Bangalore.