Vice President of Engineering
Happy Returns provides comprehensive return solutions for the world's leading online . and omni-channel retailers and their customers. With Happy Returns' Full Stack Returns, retailers offer customers a best-in-class branded online return and exchange flow as well as the maximum flexibility for returning purchases. Shoppers enjoy multiple ways to return: in-person via Happy Returns' nationwide network of 300 Return Bar locations, through the retailers' own stores, or by carrier. Happy Returns provides aggregated shipping and logistics across all channels with optimized disposition to destinations of the retailers' choice; all with comprehensive reporting and analytics. The result is a world class experience for customers (NPS® of 94) with maximum value for retailers and lower impact on the environment. Happy Returns is based in Santa Monica, California and our investors include USVP, Upfront Ventures, and Lowercase Capital. Come join our dedicated, fast-growing team and help us transform online shopping by making returns beautiful!
Reporting to the COO and co-founder, the vice president of engineering will lead, inspire, manage, and grow our world class team of software engineers to continue to scale the technology enabling Happy Returns to achieve our mission of transforming reverse logistics for retailers and their customers.
The vice president of engineering will:
- Collaborate with engineers and other stakeholders to iterate and evolve our process of designing, deploying, and managing technology—to ensure the productivity of the engineering team remains high
- Oversee the day-to-day people management of all engineers
- Lead the effort of recruiting new outstanding engineers to the team
- Collaborate with the senior executive team to determine company strategy as it relates to technology and create appropriate plans to execute that plan
- Design and implement appropriate plans and processes to ensure the scalability, reliability, and security of the Happy Returns technology system
We are looking for someone with:
- Demonstrated ability as a software engineer to design and build excellent software at scale
- A minimum of 8 years’ successful experience leading, scaling, and managing engineering teams delivering world class software, preferably with at least 4 years’ experience at a rapidly scaling startup
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with all relevant stakeholders to ensure the engineering team is meeting the needs of the business, customers, and partners
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in e-commerce, logistics, and/or the L.A. startup community
Compensation for this position includes competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and paid vacation. We are looking for someone who loves a challenge and wants to participate in the upside opportunity of this large underserved market.
We believe we work more productively and enjoy our jobs more when our team includes members with a diversity of backgrounds and life experiences. We seek to recruit candidates with diverse experience and take all reasonable steps to ensure our work environment is welcoming and respectful for everyone on our team.