Vehicle Controls and Dynamics Engineer
Dynamics modeling and motion control algorithm design for pod motion. This includes throttling, braking, docking, levitation, and guidance. The candidate will work in the Vehicle Motion Control Group and ultimately be responsible for generating the set of control laws and state machines that will control the motion of the pod. Candidate will also generate and codify the safe operating regimes and high level safety algorithms for the pod from the perspective of the propulsion motor, braking systems, levitation and guidance modules.
1. Modeling (linear and non-linear) of mechanical, electromagnetic and electrical plants.
2. Sensor architecture (layout, integration, resolution/SNR and BW requirements).
3. Production level digital motion controller design for levitation, guidance, propulsion, and braking of pod.
4. Control law and state machine design for levitation, guidance, propulsion and braking prototypes.
5. Interface with Embedded Systems, Propulsion and Power Electronics teams.
Expert in one or more of the following:
1. Power electronics, electromagnetic transducers, and vehicle dynamics analysis and modeling
2. Statistical estimation techniques (Kalman, extended Kalman, scented/unscented Kalman)
3. System and state identification techniques (extended state observers)
4. Classic, optimal, robust, and adaptive control techniques and implementation (loop-shaping, Lyapunov, H-infinity, sliding mode control, LQG/LTR, model adaptive identification controllers, fuzzy-logic, etc)
5. Stabilization of open loop unstable plants
6. Digital signal processing and sensor fusion
7. MIMO control of highly coupled/over-constrained systems
8. Low level implementation of digital controllers
9. Stability/robustness characterization for highly non-linear systems
10. Trajectory planning for vehicles
11. Flexible mode analysis in the context of motion control
12. Motor control/commutation algorithms
13. Autonomous vehicle controls development
14. Controls software development for complex distributed systems on multiple target platforms with safety-critical applications using C, FreeRTOS, and/or VxWorks
15. Software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop testing of embedded systems
16. Validating computational models through experimental data analysis and system identification
• Expert in Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow
• Experience with configuration management tools (GIT or similar)
• Deep understanding of mechanical, electromagnetic and power electronics systems
• Experience with controls development for autonomous vehicles
• Experience with the Xilinx Zynq family of SoC; Vivado design suite
• Systems and controls documentation (Logical flow charts, sequence diagrams, etc.)
• FPGA logic programming and synthesis
• Object-oriented software development
• Understanding of wired and wireless communication protocols.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
Candidate should have completed at least one commercial vehicle (manned/un-manned) programme or motion control product (in robotics, automation/fabrication, machine tools) with significant ownership in one or more of the following categories: system dynamics modeling, motion control algorithm design and implementation, sensor integration and calibration, integration of motor and power electronics.
Candidate should have completed at least two commercial vehicle programmes (manned/un-manned; drones or transportation) or motion control products (in robotics, automation/fabrication, machine tools) with a leadership role in one of the following categories: system dynamics modeling, motion control algorithm design and implementation, sensor integration and calibration, integration of motor and power electronics.