Turbine Aerodynamics Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Turbine Aerodynamics Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution in the development of the Aeon-1 turbopumps, as well as helping build a world-class turbopump team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Turbine Aerodynamics Engineer, you will own the turbine designs for the fuel and oxidizer turbopumps of the Aeon-1 engine. You will be directly contributing to the design, test, integration, and operation of the turbopumps for the first flight engine. You will also provide design, analysis, and testing support to the propulsion team as we undergo an extensive hotfire testing campaign in 2019. You will also own and develop Relativity’s aerodynamic design process and tool sets.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to rocket turbopumps. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of turbine design, testing, and analysis
- Hands on experience designing bladed turbine components
- Experience with high pressure-ratio impulse turbine design
- Experience with CREO or comparable CAD software
- Experience with ANSYS
- Experience in CFD and/or FEA related work.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- An advanced degree in engineering or related field and 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with reaction turbine design
- Experience with Concepts NREC turbomachinery design tools
- Rotordynamics analysis experience
- Hotfire test data reduction experience
- HCF and LCF structural analysis of bladed turbomachinery components
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description