Sr. Back End Engineer (APIs & Microservices) - Media
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach dedicated audiences in the ever-growing lifestyle categories.
We are looking for a Sr. Back End Engineer who is dedicated, results-oriented, and a tenacious problem-solver to join our Media Engineering team at our Santa Monica, CA office. With over 100 million unique visitors per month, our success is based in the stability of our products’ performance, usability, and user experience. As part of our Media Engineering team, you will help provide the technical foundation to make this happen.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Sr. Back End Engineer grows with us.
You’ll Report To: Manager, Engineering
A typical day as a Sr. Back End Engineer might include:
- Collaborating with other members of the engineering team to build robust, reusable, and maintainable code to support and grow our brands
- Developing and maintaining our ever growing RESTful APIs/Microservices ecosystem
- Working closely with Product, Marketing, Operations, and QA teams
You’ll be successful if you are a Node.js engineer who specializes in building scalable applications.
What You Have:
- Ability to collaborate with others in problem solving and feature development
- Ability to individually see a project come full circle
- A knack for tackling new technologies as needed
- Experience developing in an ES6, Node.js environment
- Designed, built, and maintained RESTful APIs for use in production
- Experience with Docker and Container Orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Worked with MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Cache Services (Akamai, Varnish, etc.), and Messaging Queues (RabbitMQ)
- Used APMs to optimize application performance
- TDD/BDD as part of your software development process
- Comfortable with Git, Code Reviews, Jira, and Jenkins
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way.
Who We Are:
We create experiences that celebrate the best of art, design, and technology. We want smart, curious people committed to putting people first, having fun while they work, a commitment to high quality service to make things better and a desire for constant growth. We work in a fun, hard-working collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
What We Have:
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company Los Angeles award Comparably
- Cool office environment and culture (i.e., Free Lunch Fridays, and all of the other fun activities we gather for)
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.