Senior Vehicle Controls and Dynamics Engineer (Autonomous Control Focus)
The Electromagnetic Systems division is responsible for the design and development of the Hyperloop Propulsion Motor, Levitation, and Guidance Systems. These systems are all electromechanical in nature and are designed by a highly cross-functional team of exceptional engineers in the areas of Electromagnetics, Mechanical Design, Heat Transfer, Materials Science, Testing, Controls and Embedded Systems, and Electrical System Modeling. Dynamics modeling and motion control algorithm design for vehicle motion. This includes propulsion throttling, braking, docking, levitation, and guidance. The candidate will work in the Vehicle Motion Control Group and ultimately be responsible for generating the set of control laws and state machines that will control the motion of the pod. Candidate will also generate and codify the safe operating regimes and high level safety algorithms for the pod from the perspective of the propulsion motor, braking systems, levitation and guidance modules.
The Senior Vehicle Controls and Dynamics Engineer is responsible for:
• Modeling (linear and non-linear) of mechanical, electromagnetic and electrical plants
• Production level digital motion controller design for levitation, guidance, propulsion, and braking of pod.
• Control law and state machine design for levitation, guidance, propulsion and braking prototypes
• Interface with Embedded Systems, Propulsion and Power Electronics teams.
The candidate must have a strong engineering background with Controls and Dynamics, from either vehicle applications or high performance machine tool design. They must be an expert in one or more of the following:
• Statistical estimation techniques (Kalman, extended Kalman, scented/unscented Kalman)
• System and state identification techniques (extended state observers)
• Classic, optimal, robust, and adaptive control techniques and implementation (loop-shaping, Lyapunov, H-infinity, sliding mode control, LQG/LTR, model adaptive identification controllers, fuzzy-logic, etc)
• Digital signal processing and sensor fusion
• MIMO control of highly coupled/over-constrained systems
• Stability/robustness characterization for highly non-linear systems
• Trajectory planning for vehicles
• Autonomous vehicle controls development
• Software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop testing of embedded systems
• Validating computational models through experimental measurement, data analysis and system identification
In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
• Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Experience developing a product from concept to production
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
Candidate should have completed at least one commercial vehicle (manned/un-manned) programme or motion control product (in robotics, automation/fabrication, machine tools) with significant ownership in one or more of the following categories:
• BS or MS in Mechatronics, Autonomous Control or similar field
Candidate should have completed at least one commercial product development programme (manned/un-manned; drones or transportation; machine tools e.g. CNCs, pick-and-place, ) or motion control products (in robotics, automation/fabrication, machine tools) with a leadership role in one of the following categories:
• MS or PhD in Mechatronics, Autonomous Control or similar fields