Senior Structural Analysis Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
At Relativity, we re-imagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are looking for a Senior Structural Analysis Engineer to help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. You will report directly to the Director of Vehicle Engineering.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
To support our mission of changing people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown, you will perform detailed structural/ stress analysis and sizing of launch vehicle structures, systems and components, using finite element analysis (FEA) and hand calculations. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary vehicle engineering team to define optimal structural configurations and iterate on designs. Additionally, you will support ground and flight tests, including defining test plans, pre-test predictions, oversight, data processing and updating/correlating models.
The projects you’ll be responsible for could include the following:
-Stress analysis (linear and non-linear, including plasticity and contacts)
-Dynamic analysis (including transient, harmonic, random vibration, shock, rigid and flexible body dynamics)
-Fatigue, fracture and damage tolerance analysis
-Developing structural analysis methods and best practices
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- Expert in finite element modeling and stress analysis (aerospace preferred)
- Proficient in Ansys, Abaqus, Nastran or similar finite element analysis software (Ansys preferred)
- Experience analyzing welded structures
- Experience solving a variety of complex structural problems on orbital launch vehicles or similar
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and intense startup environment
- Ability to complete projects with ownership of end-to-end solutions and minimal oversight
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience with structural dynamics: transient, harmonic, random vibration, shock, rigid and flexible body dynamics
- Experience with fatigue, fracture and damage tolerance analysis
- Knowledge or experience with thermal/heat transfer analysis
- Python, Matlab, or Fortran proficiency
- Hands-on experience with structural testing and instrumentation
- Good understanding and experience working with additive manufacturing techniques
- Experience with ProE/CREO CAD software
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description