Senior Software Engineer - Platform
Do you dream in code, SOA, algorithms, and data structures? Do you love to work on small nimble teams that focus on writing amazing code to deliver great products with big impact that are loved by customers?
Who we are:
Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, based in Santa Monica, CA. We are the parent company of two digital subscription services: Hallmark Movies Now (SVOD service) and Hallmark eCards (digital social expression service), and we’ll soon be launching our Print-On-Demand iOS App, Out of The Box. We’re leveraging Hallmark’s experience creating meaningful, emotional connections while rapidly progressing a century old, privately-owned, American brand to the forefront of the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
What we need:
We are looking for a seasoned polyglot engineer that is driven, takes ownership and is solution oriented to join a stellar new team working on cross product foundational platform written in Elixir, Java, or Scala.
The job involves the following responsibilities:
Building robust and scalable software in multiple modern object oriented and functional languages. We’re making the company transition to microservices using Elixir, Scala, and Kafka.
- Implement reactive design patterns, microservices, and REST APIs
- Work on integrations with other internal and external teams
- Participate in creating and clarifying User Stories, and in planning Sprints
- Dive into hard problems and successfully deliver great results on schedule
- Design and implement asynchronous, multi-processor solutions
Who we think would be a fit:
We are looking for someone who not only loves building great software, but is also passionate about getting stuff done. You might have worked at large top name companies, but you prefer small nimble companies with tight knit cross-functional teams that focus on getting stellar products to market quickly. You have the skills and experience, but you still love to learn - and you want to work with super talented folks to build great products.
- are a polyglot who enjoys learning new languages and choosing the right language to solve the problems at hand, and are interested in working in Scala or Elixir
- have a track record of projects completed on time - you excel at getting things done
- enjoy refactoring code to reduce code complexity, but understand delivery matters more than perfect code
- think in multi-threaded, asynchronous, and multi-processor solutions
- prioritize mitigating security vulnerabilities as a part of your normal development process
- are not afraid of Test Driven Development (TDD), in fact, you kinda of like it
- enjoy heads down coding, but also have good communication skills, love collaborating and are fun to work with.
- 5 + years professional programming experience
- Two (2) or more years of experience each, with two or more object oriented or functional languages, OR two (2) or more years of professional experience with Elixir or Scala.
- BS in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Service-oriented architecture (SOA), microservices, and REST APIs
- Familiarity with both SQL and NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB or Redis
- Experience in scaling applications
- Strong computer science theory fundamentals like algorithms and data structure design
- Experience mitigating security vulnerabilities
- Familiarity with performance tuning applications with tools like JMeter or Apache Bench
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience with Java, Ruby, Python, Scala, or Elixir
- Experience with Apache Kafka
- Comfortable working on small, cross-functional, fast paced teams
- Excellent communication skills
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Cards, Inc. and its subsidiary companies will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Hallmark does not generally provide sponsorship for employment. Employment by Hallmark is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, signing of an agreement to arbitrate in connection with the Hallmark Dispute Resolution Program, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, education verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Hallmark Labs is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. To view your rights as an applicant please review the following EEO posters: “EEO is the Law” poster and the "EEO is the Law Supplement".