Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Our team is growing, and we’re looking to add a Senior Backend Software Engineer who will bring their passion for solving performance/efficiency problems at scale while building out functionality in the app that will deliver innovative solutions and experiences for users across the globe.
In this role, you will work closely with the Director of Engineering, product managers and an elite team of engineers to build and maintain a robust, reliable, app, while proactively looking for improvements to our product’s codebase.
- Design, develop and test versatile microservices for a cloud-based environment. Our 5 core microservices are:
- Profile (sign up, sign in, and account)
- Search within the app
- Media services (photos, videos, and audio)
- Using Java 8 you will be evolving the software architecture for current and future needs in order to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing mobile products, while supporting the product roadmap
- Design core, backend software components, including new features, refactoring code, and tweaking existing features based on our user's needs
- Provide input and/or recommendations on architecture decisions that will allow our application to be more maintainable, testable, and scalable
- Optimize and fine tune key pieces of Grindr's platform like MySQL, Redis, and ElasticSearch
- Develop our team’s software engineering skills and maturity (specifically mentoring junior engineers)
- B.S. in Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing highly scalable systems
- Experience in engineering practices such as code refactoring, design patterns, microservices, building highly scalable applications
- Significant experience developing in Java 8 (required)
- Significant experience designing and maintaining high availability services at scale
- Experience using AWS technologies such as EC2
- Experience with CI/CD (Jenkins or Travis)
- Familiarity with basic security considerations for mobile applications
- Experience developing and maintaining concurrent non-blocking applications
- Experience with messaging protocols: XMPP, AMQP, and knowledge of message brokers such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous Parental Leave
- Flexible Time Off Policy
- Competitive Salaries
- 401(k)- Matching
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm.