Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
- Slumbr – An event series for the high-minded partygoer, combining fashion, music, and art.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Our team is growing, and we’re looking to add a Senior Software Engineer, Backend that will bring their passion for solving performance/efficiency problems at scale while building out functionality in the app that will drive revenue and deliver innovative solutions and experiences for users across the globe.
In this role, you will work closely with the Director of Engineering, product managers and other engineers to build and maintain a robust, reliable, app, while proactively looking for improvements to our product’s codebase.
- With your technical expertise, you will manage project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Maintain and evolve the software architecture for current and future needs in order to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing mobile products, while supporting the product roadmap
- Design core, backend software components, including new features, refactoring code, and tweaking existing features based on our user's needs
- Provide recommendations on architecture decisions that will allow our application to be more maintainable, testable, and scalable
- Design, develop and test versatile microservices for a cloud-based environment
- Optimize and fine tune key pieces of Grindr's platform like MySQL, Redis, and ElasticSearch
- Develop our team’s software engineering skills and maturity (specifically mentoring junior engineers)
- B.S. in Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing highly scalable distributed systems
- Experience in engineering practices such as code refactoring, design patterns, microservices, building highly scalable applications and application security
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Java, Scala, Ruby, Python (Java 8 is a plus)
- Significant experience designing and maintaining high availability services at scale
- Experience using AWS technologies such as EC2
- Experience with CI/CD (Jenkins or Travis)
- Experience developing and maintaining concurrent non-blocking applications
- Experience with messaging protocols: XMPP, AMQP, and knowledge of message brokers such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical and dental insurance
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salaries
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm.