Senior Simulation Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a Senior Simulation Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will help build the core of our simulation expertise on our metal 3D printing processes in addition to our rocket systems, subsystems, and components. This role reports directly to Jordan Noone, Chief Technology Officer.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
As the Senior Simulation Engineer, your role is to perform the advanced modeling of static/transient structural-thermal analysis of our additive manufacturing systems. On a day to day you will be interacting with our design, manufacturing, and test teams to obtain the necessary boundary conditions for analysis. You will then be evaluating those results, understanding modeling and performance criteria, and providing feedback for design to implement direction.
The ideal candidate for this role has had a variety of experience in the modeling of fusion and solidification of metals using FEA and finite volume simulations methods. Relativity uses ANSYS—you should have advanced experience using ANSYS Mechanical, Multiphysics, and APDL. Many of our components are also unique—meaning that someone in this role should have a strong foundational knowledge of engineering and physical processes.
Minimum Required Experience
- An advanced degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or computational natural science with 5+ years of experience of modeling fusion and solidification of metals using FEA and finite volume simulations methods
- Advanced experience with ANSYS Mechanical, ANSYS Multiphysics, ANSYS APDL
- Strong foundational knowledge of engineering/physical processes, fast-learner, ability to self-train on areas of less expertise.
- Some programming experience with at least one compiled computer language (preferably C/C++) and one interpreted language (preferably Python) for model development and scripting.
- Experience in translating CAD models to simplified geometry for analysis using ANSYS DesignModeler, ANSYS SpaceClaim, Pre/Post processor, static or equivalent.
- Familiarity with modeling in both Unix and Windows environments.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experienced in a multiplicity of simulation domains (including advanced dynamics, nonlinear, thermal, and topology optimization).
- ProE/CREO experience or equivalent.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis on large data sets.
- Familiarity with parametric and non-parametric optimization techniques.
- Familiarity with software development life cycle processes
- Familiarity with source code control systems such as Git
- Familiarity with solidification and melting, multi-phase fluids, fluid flow theory, heat transfer, buckling, electromagnetic fields, and respective analysis methods
- Familiarity with dynamic meshing
- Experience modeling Additive Manufacturing processes
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
Read Full Job Description