Senior Propulsion Simulation Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Senior Propulsion Simulation Engineer to join our growing propulsion team. This group is responsible for the design and build of Aeon1--Relativity's engine. This role will play a key part in this group by managing the overall development of the vehicle simulation infrastructure--extending beyond the transient propulsion model. A high degree of autonomy will be required in this Senior level role. This role will report directly to the Director of Propulsion.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
To support our mission of changing people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown, you will perform detailed steady state and transient propulsion system analysis. You will work closely with multidisciplinary propulsion and vehicle engineering teams to define the operating conditions and control systems of the Aeon-1 engine. Additionally, you will be instrumental in the analysis and automation of data reduction activities to characterize propulsion system performance.
The projects you will be responsible for could include the following:
- Perform simulations on system, subsystem, and component levels to predict propulsion system performance.
- Evaluate analysis results, understanding model performance and convergence criteria, and provide feedback for design.
- Assist the development of the Aeon 1 rocket engine by reviewing test data, quantifying sensitivities and uncertainties, calibrating simulations, and developing design recommendations.
Candidate Profile: (Who is the person we are looking for?)
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 3+ years of experience in an engineering software environment.
- Experience with ROCCID, RTE, TDK, SINDA/FLUINT, ROCETS, GFSSP, or equivalent and general industry-standard propulsion design and analysis codes.
- Proficient in the physics of bipropellant rocket engines, including compressible and incompressible flow, thermodynamics, multiphase flow, chemical kinetics, mechanics, and transient phenomena
- Programming experience with at least one compiled computer language (preferably FORTRAN or C/C++) and one interpreted language (preferably Python or MATLAB) for model development and scripting.
- Experience in data reduction and model validation techniques with engine test data.
- Familiarity with modeling in both Unix and Windows environments, as well as with source code control systems such as Bitbucket.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Familiarity with parametric optimization techniques.
- Experience with database development and management.
- Knowledge of statistical principles (monte carlo, regression, Kalman filtering).
- Mentorship experience (formal or informal).
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description