Senior Mechanical Engineer – R&D
Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing company dedicated to bringing safe, low-cost, environmentally-friendly transportation solutions to communities across the world. We provide a fleet of electric, shared scooters that can be accessed via smartphone. Bird is headquartered in Venice, California and is rapidly expanding across the country and the world.
Bird's R&D department is responsible for assessing new technologies, adapting existing technologies and ensuring products conform to all relevant safety, environmental & functional certifications. We support the Production Team whenever they encounter a problem during manufacturing. R&D also brings in new vehicle suppliers and ensures they conform to Bird's strict quality and performance specifications. R&D has a large number of special projects in the pipeline ranging from small mechanical devices to complete vehicle systems.
Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for engineering a multitude of mechanical projects. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work closely with Project Managers, Electrical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Technicians and other Bird team members to produce brilliantly engineered devices for use with Bird vehicles. To be successful in this role, you will need to be able to take a concept from sketch to FEA and through to production.
What You'll Do
- Be the main Solidworks authority within the R&D department
- Provide design direction of vehicle components, load cases, and validation testing
- Develop design models and engineering drawings for new products and leverage team resources to complete your designs
- FEA - develop load cases to model and to be used as test cases to correlate
- Independently organize and manage multiple design projects from concept to complete drawings for production
What You'll Need
- Understanding of construction methods and tooling options as it relates to volume of production
- Some NX experience preferred
- Design verification using FEA and motion studies
- Experience with product development from concept to validation and deployment
- History of making design decisions based on experience and FMEA understandings
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience working with suppliers
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of mechanical design experience
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driving personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Multi-tasking and self-starting
Bird Rides Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Read Full Job Description