Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
The Electromagnetic Systems division is responsible for the design and development of the Hyperloop Propulsion Motor, Levitation, and Guidance Systems. These systems are all electromechanical in nature and are designed by a highly cross-functional team of exceptional engineers in the areas of Electromagnetics, Mechanical Design, Heat Transfer, Materials Science, Testing, Controls and Embedded Systems, and Electrical System Modeling. We are seeking candidates with broad skillsets and various levels of experience to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work on one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth, from right here at our Los Angeles facility.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for:
• Creating and maintaining models and components for the propulsion and levitation systems in Unigraphics NX
• Analysis and verification of preliminary and detail design with the use of hand calculations and FEA
• Designing components and systems for various Propulsion, Levitation, and Guidance related sub-systems including the propulsion motor, levitation engines, and mechanical support structures
• Working with internal teams and external vendors to ensure timely completion of functional hardware
The candidate must have product engineering experience in mechanical design. They must be able to develop simple design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
• Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Experience developing a product from concept to production
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
• Ability to perform hand calculations on the fly
• Experience utilizing engineering principles to design complex systems
• Significant experience with detailed design of complex systems that require complex tolerancing to ensure fit and assembly
• Proficient in GD&T
• Proficiency in Siemens Unigraphics NX 6 or higher (or similar CAD software)
• Experience with Manufacturing and fabrication methods
• Excellent project management experience
• Sound knowledge of mechanics of materials
• Ability to size bolts, welds, connections, etc.
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline preferred
• Experience with material and structural testing
• Experience identifying and utilizing applicable industry safety standards
• Experience with Mechanical design of electric motors
• Experience with Mechanical design of electro-mechanical components and/or systems
• Experience with the design of cooling systems
• Experience with coils, laminations, bonding methods
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.
We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.