Senior Director, Software Engineering
Greater LA Area
Who we are:
We are the fitness company born from gaming. And we're on a mission to make more people, more active, more often. We make an at home training game that connects cyclists and runners with each other around the world. Launched from the sunny beaches of Long Beach, CA., the Zwift community is active in 195 countries and growing. We're endlessly positive, relentlessly inventive, and always looking to improve. Sound interesting?
Who you will do:
The Senior Director, Engineering is responsible for coordinating and maintaining the development and delivery plans working with high performance technical teams in the Long Beach office and abroad.
Reporting directly to the VP of Engineering, you'll be responsible for managing multiple engineering managers and ensuring them and their teams are successful - measured by continual improvement and overall delivery of business needs. You'll help cascade best practices for the engineering organization down to your teams, as well as look for opportunities for your teams to incubate ideas, find learnings to share with the rest of the organization.
You'll also be accountable for growing your team, both through hiring a diverse team, as well as coaching your team to take on more responsibility. To do so, this means you'll cascade responsibility and help support your teams' managers in doing the same for their teams.
What we're looking for:
- BS in Computer Science, MBA, or other relevant work experience
- 10+ years of relevant engineering management experience, including leading multiple teams and managing other engineering managers
- Experience leading other managers with track record of successfully improving front-line managers craft.
- Identify, spearhead, and drive successful initiative-wide improvements (i.e. improving our engineering hiring pipeline, standardizing best practices in project planning, improving our cross-functional collaboration, etc)
- Being a key contributor to engineering hiring and staffing diverse engineering teams
- Help your teams keep and retain our top talent
- Ensure the managers you support have highly functional, healthy teams (including assisting in finding opportunities to improve team effectiveness)
- Proven experience leading agile teams using modern agile methodologies like Scrum and Kanban
- Build realistic project plans, align across teams with respect to deliverables, proactively identify risks and develop mitigation plans
- Define and drive key success metrics and communicate progress to executive stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to help your team win
- Self-motivation to deliver results and seek continuous improvement
- Experience leading teams in the domains of Ecommerce, live operations of high-scale backend services, QA, and/or front-end web development
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Experience in video gaming or health & fitness industries
- Passion for cycling, running and/or fitness
- Experienced Zwifter
Top 5 Reasons We Think You'll Love It Here:
- Great Employee Fitness Program… earn a bike or other fitness equipment!
- Amazing office location on the 18th floor with a killer view
- Competitive Benefits (including Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- Awesome team of diverse individuals that love what they do
- Did we mention that we ride bikes at work and run at work?
Zwift, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Read Full Job Description