Senior Backend Engineer - Growth
Are you hungry to make an impact? Want to take a leading role in building systems reaching millions of people? Do you like to ship features quickly and learn fast? Then come join best growth team in the world.
The Tinder Growth team is driving substantial increases in active users, fueling Tinder’s rise to the top grossing app in the world. Our user-base is global, engaged, and growing, and we’re just getting started.
We’re a cross-functional team of highly motivated engineers, data scientists, product managers, marketers, and designers. Our projects range from small experiments in optimization to big swings at creating brand new user experiences, all in order to drive user growth.
This experience will be invaluable for your entire career. You’ll be surrounded by some of the best minds in the industry and be a part of a world-class team redefining the playbook on driving global user growth at scale.
This position is located in Los Angeles, CA and we'll move you here!
Projects we work on include:
Authentication: we rebuilt and streamlined Tinder’s authentication and account management systems, adding support for alternative signup and login methods like phone number in order to fuel growth in downloads and registrations.
Push Notifications: Tinder’s transactional push notification system sends over 150M pushes per day. We built the central service for all transactional push notification strategy including rolling up, scheduling, throttling, frequency, and personalized message content. Our team A/B tests delivery strategies in order to increase delivery rates, reduce opt-outs, and increase user engagement.
New User Onboarding: we optimize the new user experience to maximize the likelihood that a new user falls in love with Tinder.
Recommend: share Tinder recommendations with your friends!
User Retention: we also work at the end of the user lifecycle funnel, building features to understand why users stop using Tinder and adding incentives or addressing their friction points.
And much more in the works!
As a Senior Backend Engineer on our Growth team, you will:
- Take a lead role in building complex distributed systems at scale including architecture proposals, code reviews and hands-on coding
- Ensure that technical designs support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, maintainability, and security
- Build systems to fuel Tinder’s global user growth
- Be exposed to TB of data including billions of swipes per day
- Help us scale to meet the ever growing Tinder user base and global audience
We're looking for:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with large scale distributed systems
- AWS experience preferred
- Passionate about making high user impact and moving key metrics
- A BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering from a top school, but a wonderful project list is even better
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, or other big data tools
- Implemented machine learning algorithms in production
- Experience with push notification delivery systems
- Experience with authentication systems
- Run A/B tests and analyzed the results
- NodeJS or Java experience
- Understanding of growth-related metrics
- Experience with geospatial analysis
- Leadership experience
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry’s most exciting problems
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) match and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Daily catered lunches, endless supply of refreshments, basketball court, fitness classes and social events
- Modern, uplifting work environment in an ideal location
- And much more...