Rotordynamics Structural Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Rotordynamics-Structural Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution in the development of the Aeon-1 turbopumps, as well as helping build a world-class turbopump team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Rotordynamics-Structural Engineer, you will own and develop all structural validation processes for the fuel and oxidizer turbopumps of the Aeon-1 engine. You will be directly contributing to the design and integration of the turbopumps for the first flight engine. You will also provide design, analysis, and testing support to the propulsion team as we undergo an extensive hotfire testing campaign in 2019.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to rocket turbopumps. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of turbomachinery design, testing, and analysis
- Experience with CREO or comparable CAD software
- Experience using ANSYS for structural analysis of rotating components:
- Modal (resonance) analysis
- HCF/LCF failure prediction (Campbell and Interference diagrams)
- Proof and burst analysis of pressure vessels
- Forced response analysis of bladed hardware
- Rotordynamics (XLRotor, Dyrobes, or similar software)
- Thermal analysis (steady and transient)
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- An advanced degree in engineering or related field and 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience developing standard work procedures for analysis
- Basic knowledge of turbopump operation
- Basic knowledge of turbopump components
- Experience with Concepts NREC turbomachinery design tools
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
Read Full Job Description