Principal Back End Engineer
Within 3 months, you'll..
- Build, launch, and support your first big feature in one of our many products. We ship with iterative agility.
- Master development patterns and collaborative processes. We work together to make work efficient.
- Write internal documentation and test your features and systems. We take responsibility for communication and quality.
- Grasp the basics of our DevOps architecture. Developers share responsibility for our 100% available APIs.
Within 6 months, you'll..
- Have made a valued impact on multiple products across our platform. We celebrate our success by measuring our impact, internally and externally.
- Understand major feature areas of our applications and be comfortable navigating the stack and infrastructure. We are all generalists, but we specialize in minor feature areas too.
- Have participated in the architecture and implementation of new developer and user-facing features. We communicate and collaborate on our architecture to achieve security, scalability, and maximum learning.
- Provide feedback during code-reviews of prospective engineers and listen in on telephone screening. We will teach you our interviewing methods.
Within 12 months, you'll..
- Build within reliable estimates. We know this takes time, and we strive to be accurate with each other.
- Feel comfortable as a knowledge leader, contributing teaching and continuing to learn. We want to learn as much as we teach.
- Be an essential part of growing our team by fully participating in the hiring interview process. We share responsibility to grow our team.
You should apply if:
- You have seen a few online platforms built, designed and implemented a large piece of one of them, and would like to put your experience into building ChowNow’s platform
- You are excited about new technologies, able to judge maturity of the latest innovations, and find practical use for them
- You constantly work to get better at your craft
- You find excitement in learning new business models and transferring such knowledge into beautiful software design
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside Engineering Team towards common goal
- You make decisions based on data and evidence
- You enjoy iterative, agile development process with frequent releases
- You take great pleasure in writing quality, highly maintainable code
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Open Vacation Policy; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- Generous parental leave (primary and secondary)
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
About the Team:At ChowNow, we are passionate about serving the needs of over 8,000 restaurants to help them compete in an increasingly technical world. Our team works on products focused on restaurant clients and their diners (who transact over $1,000,000 daily on the ChowNow platform). We believe positive relationships make our team able to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to getting big things done together. Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — 5 minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor. We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.