Powertrain Electronics Engineer
Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing company dedicated to bringing safe, low-cost, environmentally-friendly transportation solutions to communities across the world. We provide a fleet of electric, shared scooters that can be accessed via smartphone. Bird is headquartered in Venice, California and is rapidly expanding across the country and the world.
What You'll Do:
- Function as the lead power electronics engineer in developing all new state of the art power electronics and drivetrain for a small personal electric vehicle
- Develop, validate and enhance various power electronic products for electric vehicles
- Be responsible for circuit topology selection, components selection, circuit board layout, control algorithm development, prototyping, testing and validation of power electronics
- Contribute to drivetrain and vehicle level integrations from prototype to production
- Analyze motors on the market, perform tests on materials, testing different solutions and testing complete systems
- Define tests and conduct them at the in-house dyno room, external laboratory houses and perform field testing on test vehicles to validate design functionality
- Provide support to production and assembly during the production of prototypes
- Participate in the design of components, which must be in compliance with automotive industry standards, in terms of EMC, safety, noise, vibration and environment etc.
- CAD modeling in collaboration with other team members
- Participate in the optimization process for prototypes and adapting them for production
- Work closely with mechanical design, manufacturing and supply chain to bring the product into mass production
- Travel domestically and internationally as required
What You'll Need:
- Experience in power electronics development and manufacturing
- Experience in PCB design, using schematic capture and layout tools. Altium preferred.
- Solid background in power engineering and control
- Knowledge of motor control principles
- A strong desire to create state-of-the-art engineering products as an integral part of a very capable team
- A flair for creative design engineering and problem solving
- Fluency with 3D CAD. Solidworks Preferred
- Large volume product development experience
- Basic understanding of overall electric vehicle components and functionalities
- Design release engineering experience – including engineering change management and project management experience
Bird Rides Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Read Full Job Description