Occupational Safety Engineer
The Occupational Safety Engineer will be a part of the Environmental, Health and Safety Team, within the Talent Operations Division. The EHS team provides compliance and best practice support to the organization. This includes acting as the subject matter expert in corporate environmental compliance, safe work practices, jurisdictional, regulatory compliance and best practice standards adherence.
Virgin Hyperloop One has a duty of care for employees, contractors and visitors. It is the responsibility of the EHS team to participate in the different activities occurring globally, to develop the necessary programs and practices that maintain that duty of care on a consistent basis.
The Occupational Safety Engineer will be responsible for the review and evaluation of designs by the Engineering and Test & Development teams and confirm their adherence to the VHO occupational safety standards. The Occupational Safety Engineer will help to develop and support the engineering design process to ensure compliance by continual collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Establish an occupational safety engineering design review and audit process.
- Review plans and specifications for new test equipment to make sure they meet safety requirements.
- Identify and correct potential hazards by inspecting facilities, machinery, and safety equipment.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of various industrial control mechanisms.
- Ensure that a final engineering design complies with health and safety regulations, especially after an inspection that required changes.
- Install safety devices on machinery or direct the installation of these devices.
- Review employee safety programs and recommend improvements.
- Act as a subject matter expert through the design and development process.
- Collaborate with all levels of the engineering teams, quality assurance, manufacturing, and legal teams.
- Establish measurements and audit parameters of the hazard control program effectiveness.
- Develop a hazard log of design mitigations to confirm their application into design iterations.
- Maintain and apply knowledge of current policies, regulations, and industrial processes.
- Assists other safety department staff members with duties as necessary or when requested by the EHS Sr. Manager.
- Determine training needs of personnel and assist them in obtaining that training.
• Possess immense knowledge of health and safety engineering processes and practices
• Ability to manage and control all types of health and safety issues
• Aware of ISO environment regulations and principles
• Evaluate the probable physical and chemical hazards and take essential steps to minimize them
• Ability to research and apply the best industrial and working practices to provide effective services
• Strong management and multitasking ability
• Strong command over verbal and written communication
• Ability to provide and implement plans, objectives and standards timely
• Ability to collaborate cross functionally as well as work independently
• Ability to productively negotiate with engineering trades
• Must have the ability lead and motivate a team
• Strong Analytical ability, being able to look at data/trends and create and implement appropriate process improvements
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Poses a hands-on work ethic with strong skills in decision making, building working relationships, planning and organization
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in any branch of engineering, required
• Master’s in Safety Engineering, preferred
• CSP preferred
- Three years of experience in safety engineering.
- Proficiency in Solid Works, CAD or other design software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project
- Comfortable working in ambiguity
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.