Mechanical Engineer Manager
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
- Lead and mentor a team of mechanical engineers and designers
- Provide design direction of vehicle components, load cases, and validation testing
- Develop design models and engineering drawings for new products
- Leverage team resources to complete vehicle design
- FEA - develop load cases to model and to be used as test cases to correlate
- Independently organize and manage multiple design projects from concept to complete drawings for production
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years of mechanical design experience
- 3+ years of experience managing a team
- Understanding of construction methods and tooling options as it relates to volume of production
- Solid CAD skills (Solidworks or NX)
- Experience with product development from concept to validation and deployment
- Strong experience of design verification using FEA and motion studies
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/ T
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience working with suppliers
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactionsHistory of making design decisions based on experience and FMEA understanding
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driving personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Ability to multi-task and be a self-starter
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.
Read Full Job Description