Materials Engineer: Surface Technologies
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Materials Engineer: Surface Technologies, to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical guidance in the development of materials processes for the Terran 1 and supporting structures. A high degree of self-motivation, project management skills and innovation is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Materials Engineer: Surface Technologies, you will have a leading role in creating systems and procedures to protect the Relativity Rocket from corrosion and other surface damage. You will personally develop those requirements as part of the Materials and Processes Team within the Manufacturing Group. In addition, you will also be responsible for the pulling together the supply chain for these outsource operations in readiness for our first flight article.
Relativity’s launch vehicle, Terran 1, requires a variety of materials and process qualified for flight. This person would develop those processes specific to surface technology, and work with and support other teams on requirements. Specifically, you would develop and implement the processes for corrosion protection, chemical milling/etching, thermal protection systems, insulation and painting our launch vehicle, among a variety of projects.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree in Materials Science and Engineering or any related degree and 3+ years of industry experience.
- Experience developing, implementing, and qualifying surface technology processes for launch vehicles.
- Experience with metallic and non-metallic material substrates and surface finishing.
- Experience with passivation and painting.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Prior work on orbital Flight Hardware
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a cross-functional team
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description