Lead Weld Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Lead Weld Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will help build the core of our robotic 3D printing and automation capability via the development of world-class additive manufacturing processes to print orbital rockets.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As the Lead Weld Engineer, you will help build the core of our robotic 3D printing and automation capability via the development of world-class additive manufacturing processes to print orbital rockets. Your role will guide the operation, development, and debugging of our in-house 3D printers.
You will develop and optimize our deposition process to be sufficient for flight quality parts by monitoring print cells during operation, and provide feedback on design changes. Additionally, you will create trainings, procedures, and safety guidelines for print cell operators. You will assist our software and automation teams by guiding sensor selection, data collection, and control loops within our printers. You will also be responsible for help guiding the development of all associated weld joining efforts.
You have ideally come from an environment where you have had extensive experience with flight quality welds. At Relativity, you will have autonomy over the management of your projects, timeline, and deliverables. This role is also a highly collaborative role in an intense startup environment—excellent communication skills is key in being successful in this role.
Minimum Requires Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in welding engineering, materials science, mechanical, or other engineering discipline.
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Experience with welding processes and their integration in robotic cells.
- Understanding of basic metallurgy of aluminum alloys.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with using weld processes for additive manufacturing
- Aerospace welding experience
- Familiarity with industrial robots
- Basic knowledge of weld tooling design
- Understanding of pre and post weld manufacturing processes and their influence on weld and part design.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description