Lead Structures Engineer
The Virgin Hyperloop One Pod team is responsible for designing and delivering the vehicle all hyperloop passengers will travel in. The Pod team has primary ownership of the vehicle’s structures, thermal management systems, interior, and environmental control and life support systems. We’re a multidisciplinary, cross-functional team that designs and integrates numerous systems across the pod. The Lead Structures Engineer will be responsible for the design and delivery of the world's first production hyperloop vehicle pressurized structure.
The Lead Structures Engineer is responsible for the conceptual and detailed design, analysis, development, and testing of the vehicle fuselage.
- Direct the architecture and guide the detailed design of the pressure-bearing fuselage for the passenger pods in the hyperloop system.
- Prioritize, coordinate, and schedule work with those involved to deliver on time.
- Perform trade studies and concept development of the structure and on-board packaging.
- Interface with numerous internal teams to ensure proper integration of on-board components
- Design structural components to meet targets for mass, stiffness, fatigue life, corrosion, manufacturing, maintenance, inspection, and certification.
- Conduct analysis and testing to support certification activities.
- Provide technical mentoring and guidance for junior Engineers.
- Direct and review work of external vendors and Engineers.
An ideal candidate will have been a serious contributor in a complete design cycle of a pressurized, human-rated fuselage or primary aerostructure.
- Should be knowledgeable of a broad range of materials systems (metallic/composites) and associated design, analysis, and testing practices.
- Should have a deep understanding of the components and interfaces relevant to the structure, and be capable of performing trade studies and configuration selection based on that knowledge.
- Must be a good communicator, both written and oral, as they will interface with many parties both inside and outside the company.
- Due to the nature of this role, should be comfortable navigating regulatory and certification processes.
Candidates who also relate to these values are highly encouraged to apply:
- Accountability: Trustworthy and straightforward, you live by your handshake
- Audaciousness: Passionate and bold, you are fearless about speaking up
- Curiosity: You are inquisitive, challenging assumptions and asking “why”
- Get Sh*t Done: The ultimate doer, you are a maker, builder, tinkerer
- Grit: Ambitious and tenacious, you are driven and determined to succeed despite challenges
- Integrity: Honest and ethical, you promote transparency and fairness
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering (or related) and experience doing full cycle design of aircraft fuselages and primary structures
- Solid understanding of structural engineering principles and ability to perform associated calculations and analyses
- Experience in completing the mechanical design of large, pressurized structures and assemblies produced at scale
- Experience designing and certifying a pressurized aircraft fuselage, including design for manufacturing, fatigue, inspection, and maintenance
- Experience interfacing with and managing outside engineering work and suppliers
- Basic CAD modeling and PDM software usage
- 7+ years of experience with a completed life cycle of mechanical design, fabrication, testing, and certification of a human-rated aerospace structure
- Implemented best practices, including design for manufacturability, reliability, and maintainability
- Certification testing for passenger rated air transportation (FAA Part 23, Part 25, etc.)
- Hands-on experience designing, manufacturing, and inspecting metallic and/or composite structures
- Advanced CAD modeling, including large assemblies
- Finite Element Analysis of structural components and assemblies
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.