Lead Process Development Engineer - Vacuum Structure, Guideway & Mechanisms
Lead a team of process development engineers to develop and implement robust manufacturing processes for large scale vacuum structures, vacuum mechanisms and the Hyperloop guide-way infrastructure.
- Function as key go-to subject matter expert on the fabrication, assembly and install of civil structures, large scale infrastructure and/or high accuracy assemblies
- Lead the research, design, prototype and development of manufacturing processes ranging the entire Manufacturing Readiness Level (MRL) spectrum from preliminary “laboratory” testing to full scale mass production
- Work with a Project Manager to ensure the team meets critical project schedule deadlines
- Work daily with lead design engineers to understand the most up-to-date product requirements and development status to ensure manufacturing development keeps pace or leads product design
- Lead the research & reporting of total process costs for various design trades including raw materials, cycle time, outside vendors, capital & tooling investments, facility requirements, direct & indirect labor and logistics costs, etc.
- Lead the research & publishing of manufacturing technical memos for design feasibility studies, state-of-the-art, cost savings initiatives, NPI, make vs. buy studies, etc.
- Lead research to select the most appropriate capital equipment vendors for manufacturing process equipment
- Delegate work load appropriately to maintain team balance & efficiency
- Identify strategic opportunities for manufacturing IP generation
- Provide technical & non-technical guidance to team members to foster career & personal development
- Perform other duties as assigned
An experienced engineering leader who has built large infrastructure/assemblies and can prove it. Someone able to chart a path forward through ambiguity and lack of definition. A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well versed in complex engineering systems. An articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent skills in the following: Communication, organization, spatial imagination, mechanical assembly and judgment. A self-directed individual who is a true team player. Large egos need not apply.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of engineers to success
- Demonstrated proficiency in 2D and 3D CAD and ability to interpret & create complex part and assembly drawings
- Demonstrated proficiency in ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Demonstrated ability to think ahead and plan over multi-month time spans
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities & projects
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to make effective decisions and presentations on complex manufacturing topics to technicians, engineers, managers and executives
- At least 6 years of previous experience in manufacturing process development, civil engineering development, aerospace, fabrication, field engineering, construction engineering, automotive or related high-volume production
- 2+ year experience leading an engineering team
- 6+ years of professional experience in one or more of the following:
- Large scale, high volume steel plate & sheet metal fabrication experience
- Manufacturing of complex welded structures
- Manufacturing of actuated mechanisms
- Manufacturing of machinery
- Manufacturing of vehicle structures
- Manufacturing of large complex assemblies
- Manufacturing of large scale civil infrastructure
- Manufacturing of large concrete structures
- Concrete engineering, development and/or field construction experience
- Experience with implementation & adherence of AS9100
- Knowledgeable in and experience with CMM metrology tools, laser tracking techniques
- Start-up environment experience
- Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing experience
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.