Head of Structures and Mechanisms
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Head of Structures & Mechanisms to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical leadership in the development of the Terran 1 vehicle structures and mechanisms, as well as helping build a world-class structures team. A high degree of autonomy and leadership is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As the Head of Structures, you will lead the team defining the overall mechanical architecture of the Relativity Rocket. In addition, you will be responsible for developing and implementing structural design criteria and process for the organization to follow working closing with other vehicle disciplines. You will manage and oversee the design, analysis, manufacturing and testing of all structures and mechanism components to deliver a highly reliable and optimized rocket structure for flight. The success of this team is also highly dependent on your willingness to recruit, build, and mentor a world class structures team.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering and demonstrated leadership experience
- 5+ years of experience working on structures and mechanisms for aerospace applications
- Experience with large scale structural or mechanism design, analysis, manufacturing and testing
- Track record of building and managing an engineering team with successful product delivery
- Solid interpersonal skills to interact with both internal and external groups to overcome associated constraints
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Hands on experience with flight-weight metallic structures and mechanisms
- Full life cycle experience of aerospace hardware from design through flight
- Background working in a fast paced, full cycle, R&D environment
- Experience with static and dynamic loads development and analysis
- Experience with additive manufacturing
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description