About the Head of Programming & Development (Media Ventures) at Headspace:
As the Head of Programming and Development (Media Ventures), you will lead our content expansion into off-platform media channels. Your responsibilities will include overseeing all content development and programming for Headspace content beyond our own app. You’ll be directly responsible for managing the development and programming of all off-platform video and audio content, including working closely with our Chief Creative Officer and Chief Media Officer to define our external content strategy.
This candidate will oversee content development for our social media, TV/OTT, podcast, and documentary initiatives, including defining new business models and creating new formats. You will also be responsible for managing business matters to support development, such as contracts, IP, deals with key parties and working with talent. This role is also responsible for overseeing current programming for any external projects set up, including iterating on content based on engagement data and ROI. This will include working without internal and external production teams, collaborating with our Head of Production on budget tracking and resource allocation, and facilitating communication between departments to ensure we maximize the impact of all of our Media Ventures. This role will also be responsible for scaling our Media Ventures team to support business growth.
The ideal candidate has experience building and partnering with creative teams that deliver world class content, as well as experience in content programming on digital and linear platforms. The candidate should also have a deep knowledge of the business issues in bringing programs from idea to launch. The candidate would ideally have brand experience and be able to evaluate budget allocation and spend based on quantifiable data; the ability to attribute dollars spent to effectiveness is key in budgeting and planning.
The candidate must have proven creative instincts and strategic acumen in developing, producing and programming short-form and long-form media projects in diverse mediums, including a proven track record packaging and selling projects to buyers, networks, and distributors. The ideal candidate is calm under pressure, comfortable in ambiguity, enjoys problem solving and is unflappable when in the thick of their work.
How your skills and passion will come to life at Headspace:
- You’re comfortable being in the weeds with budgets, hiring and planning to support the growth of Headspace.
- You’re results driven and have a solid understanding of how to track and work with performance metrics as they pertain to content creation, budgeting and measuring effectiveness.
- Experienced in content planning and programming across multiple platforms.
- Exercise excellent creative and business judgement.
- You’re an inspiring and supportive leader that helps to train and bring the best out in your teams.
- Comfortable with developing diverse media formats - audio, video, experiential, print, documentary, unscripted, animation and live.
- Understand the nuts and bolts of production and comfortably participate in all aspects of pre-production, principal, and post-production (from budget and casting to final delivery) to ensure the quality of the finished product meets Headspace quality and creative standards.
- Comfortable liaising with other departments, including Growth, Product, PR, Science, Legal and, if necessary, building out more scalable processes to accommodate growth.
What you’ve accomplished:
- 10+ years experience working in content development and programming on digital and linear platforms.
- 5+ years effectively scaling and leading creative teams.
- Ability to strategize and create world-class content from concept to production, working in different media.
- Strong network of relationships with creators, directors, producers, production companies, artist representatives and creative community.
- Proven track record selling projects to buyers and distributors.
- Experience in budgeting and planning.
- Extensive knowledge of production best practices.
- Data driven; very comfortable with performance metrics.
How to get started:
If you’re excited by the idea of seeing yourself in this role at Headspace, please apply with your CV and a cover letter that best expresses your interest and unique qualifications.